Sunday, June 16, 2019

KOON YICK WAH KEE CURRY POWDER IN SAN FRANCISCO

Three years ago I mentioned that the curry powder I liked had disappeared from the shelves and could not be found anywhere: Koon Yick Wah Kee Curry Powder. Today, while I was at work, someone was looking for that product and found that post.


冠益華記咖喱粉

Unknown said...
Did you find the curry powder? It's the best curry powder I've used and I can't seem to find it anywhere.

If you did find it could you tell me where to purchase it?

Thank you

11:35 AM


Koon Yick Wah Kee Curry Powder is usually available at Gum Sing in SF Chinatown.

GUM SING MARKET [金城平價市場]
774 Pacific Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133.
PH: 415-989-4836

It's a well-stocked grocery store just down from the intersection of Pacific and Stockton Street. Next to the New Asia Restaurant. The proprietors speak Cantonese, Mandarin, some dialect I cannot identify but can sort of understand, and English.

I've bought several jars of curry powder there in the past three years.



冠益華記食品廠

Curry powder isn't the only product of the esteemed company in Sai Kung, they also make several other good things for cooking. Including a chili sauce I really should try sometime soon.
And Shrimp Sauce.


Koon Yick Wah Kee Factory
26 Luk Mei Tsuen Road, Ho Chung Village, Sai Kung Peninsula, New Territories, Hong Kong.
冠益華記廠
新界, 西貢, 蠔涌, 鹿尾村26號。


This evening I prepared a stew with a variety of meats, and stalk mustard, to be eaten sloppily over thick sourdough toast. Plus garlic, ginger, chilies, shrimp paste, and Koon Yick Wah Kee Curry Powder.

It was mesmerizingly good.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

5 comments:

636Nasus said...

Thanks for passing along the tip on where to buy the Koon Yick Wah Kee Curry Powder (Gum Sing Market, SF Chinatown). I purchased the curry powder ($6.99) and curry paste ($12.99)

The back of the hill said...

You are very welcome!

Unknown said...

I brought some of the curry powder back from HongKong - my grandmother used to use it and it seems to have the perfect blend of heat and flavor; it is the favorite brand of Macao and HongKong Portuguese community. The Chili sauce is interesting since it uses sweet potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Any idea where in NYC might have this? Thx

The back of the hill said...

I suggest checking in the several NY Chinatowns. Other than that, I'm stumped. Print out the name of the product (冠益華記咖喱粉) to help ask whether a business carries it. 咖喱粉 means curry powder. 冠益華記 is the brand.

Search This Blog

IN TUNE WITH WILD LIFE

That noise outside while I was drifting awake? Turned out to be the streetsweeping vehicle. Not actually an owl. But it had sounded ike an o...