Friday, February 15, 2019

RICE CAKES WITHOUT RICE

You know that I tend to sneer at modern food fads and fetishes, right? So imagine what my reaction is to the phone conversation in my vicinity, that inevitably ended up in the whole wheat pasta section of the universe.


"If you can find rice cakes without the rice, that's okay. And you can finish that box of matza by reason of culture or sh*t."

"It's still rice. Rice cakes are made from rice. It doesn't matter that Chinese won't touch it."


Middle class Caucasians are a lousy source of dietary wisdom. As are the Cantonese, but despite their love for high-cholesterol stuff, flaky pastry, salt fish, and reams and reams of fatty pork, you'll have a lot more fun eating. Middle class Whites eat sawdust, magic no-gluten pizza, and kale chips.


Proper matza have gluten. And go great with salsa. Kale matza, gottenyu, are ab initio an abomination. Something Berkeley eats. I don't go there.



Seeing as my appointment with a pipe-kenner had to be cancelled -- pet cat medical emergencies ALWAYS take precedence -- lunch in Chinatown beckons. I'm thinking jook with juicy meatballs (豬肉丸粥).



Hot Hong Kong Milk Tea.

And two smokes.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...