Friday, July 31, 2009

IN TOUCH WITH MY INNER ACTOR

Yesterday evening at the Occidental, one of the other customers asked me which movie actor I indentified with most. She speculated that it might be Hume Cronyn. This surprised me, for several reasons. The primary one being her age - she was far too young to really be familiar with an actor who began making movies during the black and white era.
I was also baffled at the comparison, as other than basic ambulatory qualities (shared with a majority of humans), there is scant resemblance.

Hume Cronyn

Was it, perhaps, my inimitable style? My upper-crustian diction? My distinguished mien?

Nope.

Hume Blake Cronyn (born July 18, 1911; deceased June 15, 2003), was also a pipe smoker.



Needless to say, I was somewhat disappointed. The conversation did not develop much after that - she returned with her cigar to her lonely corner, and I loaded another pipe and smoked irritably.
One more whiskey, in a bit of a funk. The pat superficiality of the comparison was offensive.

Remarkable too that she did not name the obvious screen personage. The man I most resemble, in so many different ways. Mister Kimura.


木村先生
Kimura Sensei:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftAMtTH6mKQ


It is truly amazing how well our similarities are illustrated in the clip above. Including the love of kittens, and the gentleness of the interpersonal dynamic - especially that touching moment at the very end of the clip.
People who know me will surely acknowledge the close resemblance.

==================================================

NOTE

The Occidental: The Occidental Cigar Club is located at 471 Pine Street, between Kearney and Montgomery. It is one of the few public houses in San Francisco where patrons can still smoke - there being a loophole for owner-operated establishments (the anti-smoking laws are for the protection of employees; no employees means nobody to protect).

Telephone: 415-834-0485
http://www.occidentalcigarclub.com/
e-mail occidentalcigarclub@yahoo.com

They have an excellent selection of Scotch, Bourbon, Brandy, and California wines. They also sell cigars.
Do not order fruity cocktails - the owners will just look at you funny, if they don't tell you to leave.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least its better than Sponge Bob Square Pants.

R

Tzipporah said...

Really? I would have thought Soupy Sails was more up your alley. :D

Spiros said...

I see Raj Kapoor more than Hume Cronyn.

Anonymous said...

Hume Cronyn indeed. Savaga Kitten in no way brings to mind Jessica Tandy.

-- Moshe ben Menachem Mendel HaLevi

Search This Blog

OR MAYBE YOU ARE A HIPSTER

The first smoke of the day is accompanied by stumbling and dog poo. Not for me, as I am chipper and vibrant with hot strong coffee boiling t...