Monday, July 27, 2009

NORMALLY...

Normally I abhor violence. It is not something that gives me pleasure, nor something that I advocate. However. There are times when it might actually hit the spot, so to speak.

So I'm asking my readers: Is it possible to purchase baseball bats in Israel? Wooden or metal, either type is fine.

Reason I'm asking is because I wish to go to a nightclub in Tel Aviv with one. The Rogatka.



ROGATKA

The Rogatka is a nightclub located on Yitzhak Sadeh street in central Tel Aviv, run by an anarchist collective, that bans IDF members in uniform.

"In the words of Adi Vintner, one of the bar’s founders, "we can’t hold views against discrimination and oppression, while at the same time support the infrastructure that exploits human beings and other animals. We wanted to show it’s possible and even worthwhile to live differently.""

[Source: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1094506.html ]


At some point in the not-too-distant future I may travel to Israel. I have every intention of dropping in on the Rogatka on my way to the West-Bank, to change Adi Vintner's mind for him.
Unless someone has already come by with a Louisville Slugger before I get there.
==============================================
NOTE: Cruising Jameel's site is how I first found out about the Rogatka bar.
This post: http://muqata.blogspot.com/2009/07/tel-aviv-nightclubs-target-idf-soldiers.html
Jameel can be found here: http://muqata.blogspot.com/
Interesting points of view, worthwhile blog. Go read.
==============================================

3 comments:

Tzipporah said...

LOL - I wondered when you would get wind of that little piece of news...

e-kvetcher said...

Weird - rogatka means "sligshot" in Russian. I wonder where the name came from?

The back of the hill said...

Actually, e-kvetcher, it is precisely the Russian word. Rogatka went native in Israeli slang, and became the term for slingshot also in Judea and Samaria, where the Arab youth were using such to shoot rocks at the IDF.

And you will recall, I know, that Dovid HaMelech used such to great effect? Hardly the harmless non-weapon that it has been made out to be.
Years ago I could dent garbage cans down the block with one. My aim is less sure today, but just give me a bit of practice......

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...