Thursday, August 08, 2024

THE SUCCULENT CHINESE MEAL

It is with sadness that we read that the man who over two decades ago gifted the Australian language with jewels such as "a succulent Chinese meal", "get your hand off my penis", and "democracy manifest" has passed away at age eighty two. Those phrases and more were uttered during his arrest outside a restaurant in what may have been a case of mistaken identity. He was presumed to be a notorious other person.
Specifically a Hungarian chessplayer.

"In 1991 the British Empire lay in ruins and foreign nationals frequented the streets of Brisbane, many of them Hungarian chess players ... "

During his last few weeks, he begged his relatives to smuggle his pipe into the hospital. Which is something that I can thoroughly sympathise with.


The last time I saw my barber he just couldn't shut up about the roast goose in Hong Kong, and even put several roast goose videos on his laptop for us both to enjoy while he snipped away. I'm not sure, but I think he was drooling. He really misses Hong Kong. This time, it was Peking duck (北京烤鴨 'bak ging haau ngaap'). Several luxuriously appointed restaurants in Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and Shenzhen. Luxurious settings. Lovely restaurants famous for catering to the prosperous cognoscenti, with impeccable table service, serving succulent Chinese meals. Beautiful and gorgeous.

Here in San Francisco it may cost you over one hundred dollars per person.
Far better indeed than the fleshpots of Egypt. No wonder my barber is losing his mind.

So of course I went to a chachanteng immediately afterwards and had something else. Black bean sauce and peppers porkchop over rice (豉椒豬扒飯 'si jiu chü baa faan'). And, after enjoying my succulent meal, I filled and lit up my pipe.


Cecil George Edwards (aka Jack Karlson) was an original. The world and Australia are poorer for his passing. RIP, Johann Kelmut Karlson, Cecil George Edwards, Cecil Gerry Edwards, Mr Democracy Manifest. And 'get your hand off my penis!'


According to my barber, in conversation with another customer, I am from Hong Kong, a pretty boy, and a ladies man like you wouldn't imagine. And when she goes back she should go with me and live it up. It will be such fun. Roast goose, roast duck, and fatty pork! Succulence, in Cantonese, is 多汁 ('dwo jap'; "much juice").
That does not apply here.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

TAKE A WALK

Two young fellows of Indian or Pakistani heritage got on the bus at the same time as myself. They conversed animatedly using words that indi...