Monday, August 26, 2024

IMPROVING THE MIND

Sometimes people have lovely smiles. I noticed that on the bus (the driver), at the jewelers where I was looking at watches, at the hospital pharmacy when I was picking up refills, and later at the place where I went to have a bite to eat. A late lunch, more like dinner. But it was also breakfast, because I had wasted the entire day putzing about. As happens too often on my first day off after being at work. Fermented tofu pig's knuckle rice (南乳豬手飯 'naam yü chyü sau faan'). First time in a long time I had that. Delicious. Great juices!

I was looking at watches because I couldn't find the watch I usually wear. Having looked all over the place, I concluded I must have lost it on the way home, and sought a replacement. Just in case they didn't have one I took the watch I haven't worn in ages over too so that the battery could be replaced. They did not have a replacement (I'm very particular, and do not want a vulgar shiny metal banded watch, or a big thick flashy clunker), the older watch now works again and I'll probably wear it henceforth, and this evening I again looked in a place where I should have looked better before (behind a large box that contains Nicaraguan cigars, don't ask) and consequently I now have two perfectly functional watches on my bedside table. Nice old fashioned conservative timepieces.

I had spent much of the day fussing with a briar pipe I'm restoring.
Neurotic about certain details. I probably need help.
And I quite lost track of time.
It's not done yet, and will take a while longer. A very common problem with Petersons is that many of their finishes are perfectly dreadful, and over the years their eyes have sometimes faded in the factory to the point of uselessness. I suspect that it's probably like an old folks social club there, poor dears, because who the heck wants to go work in a factory making dusty old pipes if they've graduated college and can sit behind a desk in an air-conditioned brightly lit office cruising the internet all day while they're supposed to be working at a far greater rate of pay?

Plus I don't have a buffing wheel or drills here, so what should take minutes must take much longer. And often gets interrupted by my computer nearby.


I suspect that when I finally left the apartment late in the day I may not have been quite as sane or composed as I should like to have been. When I returned three hours later I was a different individual. Getting out, and eating something that restores the blood sugar levels, have a great effect in that regard.

So does juicy, fatty, gelatinous, tender meat.
With hot sauce and cold milk tea.
Capped by a smoke.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

TAKE A WALK

Two young fellows of Indian or Pakistani heritage got on the bus at the same time as myself. They conversed animatedly using words that indi...