Wednesday, August 14, 2024

AUSPICIOUS PROSPECTS

A necessary conversation with someone from my health care plan made it impossible to go over to the usual place for Wednesday lunch and have a leisurely repast (without by doing so inconveniencing the staff), so that's something on the agenda for tomorrow. Instead, I had some congee and an oil stick, then grocery shopped, finished my pipe, and went to pick up my praescription. A few stops later I was having an egg tart and a cup of milk tea. Ran into people I know at the vegetable place, the pharmacy, the corner store, on the street, and at the bakery.

Nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho, nei ho.
That's 'hello hello' to several people, and the return response back.


Both longan (龍眼 'lung ngaan') and rambutan (紅毛丹 'hung mou daan') are now widely available. Both are delicious. I should purchase some for my neighbor the Indonesian Chinese woman downstairs. Today I gave her stalk mustard and apples.
She's a bit older than I am, and crazier.
Doesn't get out much.

Neither do I. But, comparitively speaking, I am spryer, grouchier, faster, and a veritable social butterfly. Why, I hippity hop (semi-stumble at a rapid pace) all over town! Damn' these legs!
And of course loquats (commonly 枇杷果 'pei paa gwo', in ancient times 蘆橘 'lou gwat gwo') have been available for months now, one of the benefits of the San Francisco climate.
But they bruise easily.

Still, as a smoker, I am keenly aware of their salutory effect on the throat.
They are an auspicious product, symbolizing wealth.
A gentle perfume.


Tomorrow: a delicous unhealthy lunch, and some fruits.
Plus, of course, milk tea and a pipe.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

TAKE A WALK

Two young fellows of Indian or Pakistani heritage got on the bus at the same time as myself. They conversed animatedly using words that indi...