Monday, July 10, 2023

IT WENT BUMP IN THE NIGHT

The cat knocked over the priceless vase at around two o'clock in the night, and voiced her displeasure at the obstruction. It was my own fault, really. I should have remembered that Muffin liked the high ledge from which she could observe me. Or pounce and miss the bed by a foot at least. Which often also displeased the creature, fixated on warmth and comfort.
A lump like a toasty potato sitting on a plate, and a cold night.
It is time to spoon the human being.

It wasn't that cold last night.

And I do not have a cat.

I think she had lived here many decades ago, before I moved in.

That crash woke me up, and it took me a few seconds to realize that in fact it came from the next block over. Also, I do not have a Ming Vase, or any ancient porcelains looted from an Indonesian palace during the great age of shameless imperialism. Which makes me sad. Things are missing in my life.
This had been obvious when I was on the bus back to the city yesterday, with a dozen young fellows from Marin behind me. I heard scraps of their conversation. "I saw them [-indistinct verb-] at least fifteen times." "That's disgusting!" "She said I don't usually do this on the first date." "Oh yes you did." I suspect they may have been talking about baseball and a home run, that's the only reasonable explanation.

Sonny, in my day we did not go to a baseball game on the first date. Instead, we'd read our favourite passages from À La Recherche Du Temps Perdu, and compare notes. Then we'd order another pot of Oolong tea, at a parlour where we were in full view of our disapproving parents, with our hands above the table at all times. It was a gentler and much more frustrated age.

Actually, on one 'first date' we enjoyed hot chocolate topped with whipped cream together. On another one I was introduced to vegetarian food and declined a second date. There was a first date with Italian food. The best one was the first date with apple pie à la mode.
It became a relationship of many years, and she's still a very good friend.

None of them were interested in American sports.
Several of them admired nice pottery.

Not one lived in Marin.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

WATCH OUT FOR THE WILD LIFE

The first few hours of being out and about were the same length of time as the last few hours. But I got a lot more done, because it was coo...