Monday, July 31, 2023

I LIKE THAT!

A late lunch (or early dinner) in Chinatown, followed by a very satisfying smoke around the corner from the restaurant. One table had caught my immediate attention -- obviously tourists from somewhere in the States, judging by the girth of the ladies -- and a subsequent table also drew my attentive eye and ear. Clearly European. Their clothing and body language said as much. Then I heard them discussing vegetarian options with the waitress. Followed by a question about shrimp chips. Which is a very Dutch thing. 'Ollanders for some reason love 'krupuk' ("kroepoek"; shrimp chips). Subsequent ear-stretching confirmed that indeed they were from the Netherlands.

The restaurant specializes in dumplings. Which, in the Chinese context, usually implies meat (pork) and / or shrimp. If they're in broth, such as wonton soup noodles (雲吞湯麵), the broth is based on meat and dried flounder (左口魚), so nix on vegetarian chances there also.

[雲吞湯麵 ('wan tan tong min'): shrimp and pork won tons in broth with thin wheat flour noodles. It's very Hong Kong. 左口魚 ('jo hau yü'; dried flounder") is often used after toasting or frying a bit to add a savoury taste to vegetables and stocks. Also a very HK thing, but more universal.]


I wished them "smakelijk eten" on the way out. Then a conversation with a todler closer to the front door. "阿叔,你哋講乜話?" "荷蘭語,佢哋係我嘅國家人。" "噉,點解唔講唐話?"
"因為佢哋唔係唐人街嘅。


The idea that there are people like myself who are unable to speak our language may have baffled him. Until now I've been the only Dutchman he's ever met.


What baffles me is that they had not asked for sambal.
Which is exceedingly odd.


Thoroughly enjoyed my smoke afterwards.
It was exceptional.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

WATCH OUT FOR THE WILD LIFE

The first few hours of being out and about were the same length of time as the last few hours. But I got a lot more done, because it was coo...