Sunday, September 18, 2016

GETTING IN TROUBLE OVER RELIGION

In the United States, at present, there is discussion of Islam and Muslims. Regrettably the loudest voices are also the most ignorant. Much is made of the role of women in Islamic society.


"Even a cursory student of Islamic history knows that all the trappings of gender inequality present in the Muslim society have socio-economic and cultural as opposed to religious roots."

-----Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Emir of Kano, Muslim scholar and Sharia expert, Sheikh of the Tijaniyyah Sufi order.


Years ago an acquaintance of mine -- by no means a friend, or by any stretch someone whom I would willingly socialize with again -- insisted that because genital mutilation was common among some Muslim peoples, it was normative and de rigueur among all, and that therefore all discussion of Islam had to focus first and foremost on the clitoris.

She disapproved of Islam.


I think she may have realized that we were at different points on the map when I indicated that while I would gladly go on at very great length about the clitoris, I preferred to do that in a lighthearted and perhaps affectionate way, rather than in the context of discussing religion. Any religion.

I also said at the time that while discussing clitorides was a indeed fond habit of mine, there was no way in hell I would allow her to mention hers.


It has been a long time since I discussed such things.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...