Saturday, March 31, 2012

GOING DOWNTOWN

When I left the store with my bag of groceries there was a small raccoon sitting underneath the acacia tree at the bus stop.
It gazed up at me as I passed.

At that moment I really wished that I had bought some ice cream.
Raccoons love ice cream. We know that from YouTube.
And this was a nice looking raccoon.
Very personable.

I strongly feel that charming individuals deserve ice cream.
Especially if they have friendly eyes.

It wasn't till twenty minutes later at home that I remembered that there were three tubs of Häagen-Dazs in the refrigerator.  Mango, blueberry crumble, and rum raisin.
I could've gone outside with a bowl for the raccoon.
But it was without doubt already long gone.
Wish I had thought of it sooner.

There are no ice cream stores in the neighborhood, and the local market closes at nine thirty.
So the little thing probably didn't hang around.
If she (I'm assuming it was a female) seriously wanted ice cream, she probably took the next bus across the hill.  Surely a bus driver would let a small well-behaved creature on without paying?
It's dangerous in this city at night, young persons of any species should not be outside so late.
Even if they are furry, nocturnal, and can climb trees.
You just don't know what might happen.

Somewhere there's a raccoon standing up with its paws against the bus window staring out into the night, hoping that they will soon go past a creamery.
Sparkly black eyes and a positive attitude.

There is no ice cream anywhere in that direction.
Darn it, I should have bought some.

The next time I go to the store I'll get some bars.
Or maybe single serving cups.
Just in case.


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Coonster said...

A very charming account. Thank you.

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...