Friday, November 18, 2016

OH THE PLACES YOU CAN GO!

My Chinese American apartment mate vociferated that for her and people like her there was clearly an immensely large part of the country that should be considered a permanent no-go zone. And boy did that steam her goat.
Whereas I could go nearly anywhere, and as long as I kept my mouth wisely shut, I would be (reasonably) safe. And welcome, even.

She's right.


Let's look at some maps for perspective.


EMMIE MEARS 2016 ELECTION


QUORA 2012 VOTING BLOCKS



PREDICTIVE MAP



QUORA 2012 BLUE SPLOTCH



WASHINGTON POST 2016 BY COUNTY



As you can see, the vast interior is almost entirely off limits to people of colour, gays-lesbians-trans-etcetera, Jews, Muslims, epicures, and anybody with more than half a brain.

No, they aren't all dickwads in the red zone, probably not even most of them. Some very nice people live there.
But if all it takes is just one dickwad to ruin your day, the chances of that happening are far greater once you venture into the bush. As are your chances of major acid indigestion.


In Dorkpud and Pasquodniack (Mississipi and Ohio, respectively), the chances of the entire highschool football team overlapping perfectly with the local American Nazi Party cell are one hundred percent.

She and her wheelchair-bound Russian Jew boyfriend would probably be hunted down and savagely slaughtered, which would entertain the entire town and be blessed by the local Southern Baptist preacher and Junior Chamber of Commerce.
And while the prospect of him coming to an unpleasantly bad end doesn't exactly appall me, I worry about her.

I, of course, could probably visit those two lovely towns.

No doubt they're very friendly to WASPS.

Quite the nicest people.



Trump is just a symptom.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

3 comments:

swb said...

Dude. I live in the south, just 45 miles north of Nashville Tn. I voted for Trump. And I can safely say you are wrong as can be about the supposed No Go Area. Nobody cares what your orientation or ethnic background is. Everyone is too busy trying to get on with their own lives. I really don't know if it is hyperbole or rampant paranoia on your part. I really think you are over thinking the election results.

btw- still love the blog.

The back of the hill said...

Stephen Burke,

I appreciate your feedback. But, as I said "they aren't all dickwads in the red zone, probably not even most of them. Some very nice people live there."

And "it takes is just one dickwad to ruin your day".

Just one. Same factor as travelling in Europe as an American. Some very nice people, but all it takes is one person.

And non-white or non-straight people here have read too many accounts of Trump-supporters pulling nasty stuff to trust the rest of the country for a while.

I grow tobacco said...

It's kind of like a big red underwear stain running down the center of the country: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Just sayin'.

Search This Blog

KINDLY SHUT UP

If you were travelling, you rather looked forward to the easy camaraderie and hubbub of the cafe on the platform, where you'd settle dow...