Tuesday, September 18, 2018

MAKING A PIG

After waking up late I had three strong cups of coffee and two Nicaraguan cigars (A. J. Fernandez, toros), before heading out for early dinner in lieu of breakfast. I suppose the coffee and cigars were a breakfast of sorts, but there is no actual nutrition there.


南乳豬手飯

A roast meats restaurant, quite popular. Three or four couples of varied age, an elderly woman having wonton soup, young lady eating congee, and a business man having a loud conversation on his cell-phone.
And some other single diners.

Two couples were on a date.

What I had was something nobody in their right mind should order on a date. South milk pig hand rice. By which is understood braised pork knuckles with fermented beancurd sauce. Juicy fatty, gelatinous, delicious. And, because you need to suck and gnaw, not something a person you want to impress should ever see across the table.


Good thing I ate by myself.

Finger licking.



南乳 ('naam yü'): red fermented tofu.
豬手 ('chyü sau'): pig's knuckle.
('faan'): cooked rice.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...