Thursday, August 24, 2017

THE RESILIENT FEMALE MIND

While wandering down Trenton Street (登頓街) past what used to be Y Ben House (會賓樓) toward "much good" (多好), I spied my friend from a couple of days ago and her daddy walking up hill. Both of them waved at me, I waved back. I am pleased to report that she appears to have a thing for Totoro (龍貓).


All bright little girls should like Totoro. It shows good taste and sound judgment. There's a handsized plush Totoro fob hanging from her backpack.


Y Ben House closed back in late summer or autumn of 2011, but Dol Ho is still open, so dim sum can yet be had on that stretch. Although with the renovation going on in the two housing developments there, the street seems a little deserted.
Many of the folks who lived there have had to relocate for the duration, which is a hardship, as almost every store and service they rely on is now quite a distance away. One of those uprooted people showed me a flyer his new residence shoved under every door. What did it mean?

It meant that on Friday from 8:30 AM till 5:00 PM there will be no hot water (嗰間樓從8:30到5:00冇熱水). I wrote it down for him.


There are several folks I know who over the next few years will become more and more reliant on very small people, as those individuals gain further literacy in English. Which is not the easiest language to learn; it is best to start when young.

Until the two little boys at the lunch counter I visited today and the little girl with the Totoro dangling from her backpack are in second grade at least, things may be a little baffling.

I wonder if her parents have seen My Neighbor Totoro.
And if so, in which language.
Did they like it?




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...