Thursday, March 03, 2016

LASAGNA: IT'S AN EVIL PLOT

The following is NOT something I heard today. But it appeals to me, speaking on a deeper level.

It resonates.


"I wish I was still in bed."

"I'd hear the wind blowing the rain against the window panes and I'd pull the blankets up, get all toasty and cozy, and fall back asleep."

"Instead, I'm out here, cold and wet, waiting for the school bus to take me to the gulag."

"Yeah, I hope the sheets are still warm when I get back in."

"Rub it in, Hobbes."


The strip lasted for slightly over ten years, which for many of us were a formative period in our lives. Not because of an accidental chronological overlap, but because comics like Calvin and Hobbes helped to shape our world views.

Other cartoons that shaped me, in alphabetic order:

Agnes
Asterix & Obelix
Bloom County
Chibi Vampire
Ernie (The Piranha Club)
Frumpy the Clown
Get Fuzzy
Gordo
Guust Flater
Hothead Paisan: Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist
Hyper Police
Krazy Kat
Lum
Midori Days
Non Sequitur
Olivier Blunder (aka: Achille Talon)
Peanuts
Pearls Before Swine
Pogo
Ranma ½
Sherman's Lagoon
The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers
The Far Side
Tom Poes
Vader & Zoon

The list is not particularly unusual, but some of the ommisions are.

Stupid cat, dog, and teenager cartoons are NOT on the list.

With very good reason: they suck. Immensely.

Avoid lasagna; it's bad for you.






==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

5 comments:

Phillip Minden said...

The first year of that cat had a lot of good cartoons, that only later turned into hackneyed clichés. He looked quite different, too.

The back of the hill said...

Absolutely correct. It was bitterly disappointing.

quizzically amphibious said...

What, no love for "Ernie"/"The Piranha Club"?

The back of the hill said...

Dang! I knew there was one I had forgotten!
The omission has been rectified.
Sorry.

The back of the hill said...

One word: Grelzakian Toad Cult.

Search This Blog

OR MAYBE YOU ARE A HIPSTER

The first smoke of the day is accompanied by stumbling and dog poo. Not for me, as I am chipper and vibrant with hot strong coffee boiling t...