Tuesday, February 03, 2015

SMOKE AT BOTH ENDS

Here it is, Tuesday morning, a work day, and I woke up regretting my intemperate behaviour last night. No, it has nothing to do with booze. Though being a pipe smoker, right now would be the only time I could truly appreciate a fine single malt, seeing as by evening my tastebuds have usually had a work out.

I don't drink until night-fall, in case you were wondering.
But the first pipe is before lunch time.
Almost always.

After a hot cuppa milk-tea at a bakery in Chinatown late yesterday afternoon, I wandered around smoking a bowlful of spuncut.

Thoughts:

"My heavens, that little girl sure is cute!"
[Especially by contrast with her haggard old grandfather.]

"Two old ladies should NOT be screaming over a card game."
[Younger people also use this park; what kind of horrid example are you two setting?]

"He looks like a loony; avoid eye-contact."
[Many white people in Chinatown are off-kilter, and possible psycho.]


Ended up at City Lights Bookstore, and browsed.

Thoughts:

"Good lord what pretentious garbage!"
[Beat poets, Bukowski, and the entire gender studies section.]

"Sh*t, nothing but the usual sh*tty translations by artistic sh*theads!"
[Chinese poetry shape-shifted into English, without the original texts for comparison; heck, they could put down anything and claim "it's Chinese Poetry, dude!", and who the hell would know any better?]

"Bollocks!"
[General reaction to a lot of very intellectual stuff.]


After not buying anything at the bookstore, I went to a new dumpling place that recently opened. This man seriously loves dumplings. Sometimes there's nothing finer than little dough pockets filled with a juicy mixture of meat and vegetables, all hot and beguiling from the kitchen.
Hand me my chopsticks, I need to eat.

Thoughts:

"The name says North, what the two waitresses are speaking says South."
[The Cantonese language.]

"These dumplings are darn good!"
[Chive and pork dumplings.]

"Well crap! The skewered lamb is just wunnerful too!"
[Hot greasy goodness, with cumin.]

"Wow."
[Gau choi chu yiuk gaau ji, kou yeung yiuk chuen, dou leung go hou mei hou sik ge woh!]



韭菜豬肉餃子、烤羊肉串、都兩個好味好食嘅喎!


Now here's the problem: I like my dumplings with chili sauce.
Same with skewered tender lamb.
I probably overdid it.
Just a bit.

My insides may be in disagreement with my head today.
In fact, I think that is inevitable.

Probably shouldn't have snacked on the Italian cured meat products (two kinds) when I got home either.
After another pipe-full.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

ROTTEN BRAINS IN RED STATES

So my bright and optemistic idea of getting out of the house relatively early for a haircut, lunch, and afternoon tea, all punctuated by som...