Wednesday, February 25, 2015

RUNNY CUSTARD BUN 流沙包

One friend disparages Hong Kong style snackies as naught more than low-grade ingredients dolled-up. Naturally I would disagree, especially as he is also convinced that the spices in Indian food hide spoiled meat, and even one tiny clove of garlic alone can ruin your sex drive.
I haven't asked how he knows that about garlic.
Nor am I interested in his sex drive.

Actually, the sexual urges and activities of my friends seldom interest me, and it is preferred that they do not make a public habit of those things. Kissing, cuddling, and further activities should be done in private, not spoken of, and never detailed to friends or family.
Be discreet, people.
Thank you.

Your gustatory indulgences, however, can be fascinating. Especially if you like what I like. Which is Cantonese food, dim sum, Hong Kong style snackies, Indonesian food, and weird Dutch deep-fried objects.
Oh plus lots of other stuff, I just mentioned the highlights.
I am a sucker for fattening stuff.


A different friend mentioned the runny custard buns at Sun Hing in Kennedy town, which, naturally, made my ears drool.

Seeing as I am in San Francisco, nowhere near Kennedy Town.

[I've mentioned Kennedy Town in a previous post: Eat well and smell good.]

We have great eaties. But we aren't Hong Kong.
Often that is rather a pity.



新興食家
西環堅尼地城士美菲路8號地下C號舖

Sun Hing Restaurant
Western District (Sai Wan), Kennedy Town, Smithfield Street No. 8, Ground Floor, Shop C.


It's two blocks south of the waterline, in case you are interested.
Not too far from the China Merchants Wharf.
Near Gatchik Street.

They also do a number of other dim sum type items, all very nicely, and are a beloved establishment among the locals.
They open at three A.M.
All day food.


流沙包 LAU SAA BAU

I never tried the runny custard bun.
Didn't even know it existed.
A grievous oversight.

It is a thin-skinned steamed object filled with oozing goodness.

I know of no place in San Francisco that does anything like it.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...