It was a very nice smile. She recognized me from a different place, and seemed pleased to see me at the Wednesday place, where I have sometimes also seen her. She's older than me, and had eaten alone. I was sitting down as she was getting up to leave, and we said hello to each other (你好,你好 'nei hou, nei hou'). One very rarely sees Caucasians in either place, which may have been what made me stand out. Because I'm actually not very memorable.
Earlier at the hospital pharmacy I had semi-recognized three people who didn't know me, and one person waiting for her meds who smiled in recognition. Someone who actually works fairly near where I live, has been more or less in the vicinity for many years.
No, not a food place.
Makes me wonder what I shall do tomorrow, seeing as I've already picked up my meds, don't have a regular Thursday place, already went to the bank where the young teller from two weeks ago happily greeted me, and I've already visited the provisioners.
Laundry, I guess. Don't particularly like the others there.
And wish to avoid the yakkity fellow.
Being recognized is kind of nice, provided the people doing so are folks one gets along with and decent too. One does not want to be recognized by eccentrics (totally unique creative individuals) and random loonies. In that regard, Chinatown is one of the safest places.
Whereas the rest of the city has hipster wannabees, exceedingly artistic types, and sheer sweaty multitudes of Beat-era very important poets.
Perhaps you understand that I am not hip or artistic, and do not compose beatnik poetry.
The poetry I do write is in Dutch, and not meant for anyone outside my head.
I shan't claim to be a totally unique creative individual.
Why, there must be tonnes of me.
==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:
Post a Comment