Sunday, September 30, 2018

A SHY REPTILE

There was a snake at work. I caught it and eventually released it on the slope behind the garbage cans where there are twigs, old leaves, scrub brush, and minor moist spots. And, one hopes, friends, relatives, and food.
This was after I found out that my coworker is remarkably creeped out by snakes. To the point where he kept a good thirty feet away.

The animal was cute and non-threatening.

In fact, seeing as I was hovering over the serpent, in its empty cigar box with the little saucer of water, our little scaly friend was probably quite as scared of me so nearby, as Hector was of it from across the room.


A juvenile Pacific ring-necked snake. Scarcely ten or twelve inches long. When startled, Pacific ring-necked snakes wriggle and curl, cork-screw like, showing off the brilliant flame hue of their undersides.
Diadophis punctatus amabilis.

I found it quite charming.
Lovable, even.


When I carried it outside it was in the palm of my hand, so that whatever else happened it would at least have some warmth.

From Wikipedia: "Ring-necked snakes are secretive, nocturnal snakes, so are rarely seen during the day time. They are slightly venomous, but their nonaggressive nature and small, rear-facing fangs pose little threat to humans who wish to handle them. They are best known for their unique defense posture of curling up their tails, exposing their bright red-orange posterior, ventral surface when threatened."
End cite.


Because of this, I now know what Duvernoy's Gland is.
Which is a fascinating little tidbit of information.

All this gave me a warm happy feeling.
That's not common at work.
It was a good day.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

OR MAYBE YOU ARE A HIPSTER

The first smoke of the day is accompanied by stumbling and dog poo. Not for me, as I am chipper and vibrant with hot strong coffee boiling t...