Thursday, September 06, 2018

USE YOUR GOURD. OR NOT.

Last night for dinner I had two mini mooncakes filled with wax gourd, sugar, wheat flour, water, and palm oil. And some Old Gowrie, which is Virginia tobacco in "a broken flake, spicy, yet noble", whatever that means.
It's from the manufacturers description.
And a cup of strong tea.

[Please note that the tobacco was in a pipe, smoked after eating the confections. Not in the items themselves. Like the tea, it added to an experiential taste gestalt, which was indeed very nice. But low on the nutrition totem pole.]

Let's see if tonight I can do better.

Actually, that also describes what I had for breakfast, seeing as I did not feel like going over the hill to Chinatown, but spent yesterday lazing about the apartment, in between little jaunts outside.
Two mini mooncakes.


Benincasa hispida, wax gourd, is known as winter melon (冬瓜 'tong gwaa') when mature, and fuzzy melon (毛瓜 'mou gwaa') or spring melon (節瓜 'jit gwaa') when young, and is used both as a tasty vegetable and as material for candy or preserves.

Soup can be made with it, either dinner soups with meat, or sweet soups with red dates (紅棗 'hung jou') and ginkgo nuts (白果仁 'baak gwo yan').
Even preserved egg, or shellfish. In any case very healthy!


The problem is that when I look into the vegetable bin right now, I see wax gourd there, in addition to hot green chili peppers. And I actually want something fried. Or perhaps pizza.


When you're cooking for only one person, everything is too much.
I bought wax gourd when I wanted a break from mustard.
A few weeks ago it was bitter melon.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...