Sunday, March 27, 2016

BALLS IN THE REFRIGERATOR

My apartment mate bought me some meatballs. She knows I like good meatballs, but refuse to hike around the corner four blocks uphill to visit Trader Joe's, even though it is in the exact same spot that Cala Market used to occupy.

No, I do not object to high-fallutin' yuppie foodstuffs necessarily, it's just that I can't stand transplanted East-Coasters with their ever-so-precious and superior white middle-class attitudes refusing to patronize actual local businesses, because those are all filled with Mexicans and Chinese.

Yes yes, I know it's not about that. They more than tolerate those people, why, they welcome the cultural diversity of the city they immigrated into!

It's just, you know, everything in Trader Joe's is in English.
The peanut butter is gourmet, and gluten free!
Plus they sell bottled water.
It's safe!


Anyhow, these are excellent meatballs, and the same brand that used to be available at Cala Market (open 24 hours), as well as at the Chinese grocery store for white people less than half a block away on the corner that closed three years ago which I really miss.

Basic point is that I don't like how the neighborhood has changed.

Nobody consulted me, and I'm grumpy about that.


But I sure do like meatballs.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

7 comments:

Hirohito said...

Do you still believe this stuff?

http://atthebackofthehill.blogspot.com/2006/09/emunah.html

The back of the hill said...

Yes.

But I am not actively pursuing it. It's a mental framework rather than a day-to-day gestalt.

e-kvetcher said...

Speaking of balls and Chinese...

The day that the Chinese start believing that dried, ground up terrorist testicles help cure impotence will be the day that many of the world's problems will be solved

The back of the hill said...

;-D

The back of the hill said...

I've got a mental vision of shops offering fancy display packages with gold characters and window lids, suitable for presenting to your boss as a status gift ...

Along with glowing testimonials by serious scholarly types and people in lab coats, on advertising signs.

And sachets of a handy beverage mix, for a daily pick-me-up.


The captive breeding programme is, naturally, the next step.

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous e-kvetcher
Re: Speaking of balls and Chinese...

Brilliant, brilliant.

M

culinarily amphibious said...

Actually, Trader Joe's peanut butter is pretty good. That, and wine and whiskey, are the only reasons I go there.

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...