Friday, November 27, 2015

THE FAR RATHER

Customarily, the Friday following the great feast is dedicated to shopping frenzies, and several people are trampled to death in sacrifice to the lords of commerce. The civilized person sneers at all this.

Unfortunately, I too am involved, as today is a work day, the nature of my field is mercantile, and my place of employ is near fabulous shopping.


Ideally one would get up late on Black Friday (around eight A.M., or slightly before), have coffee while reading the news -- civilised people read, idiots watch Fox -- then wander over to Chinatown for some dimsum around eleven, spend a large part of the afternoon puttering in the library (or among one's own bookshelves; there are probably nearly three thousand books in this apartment), smoke a pipe or two, then have tea.

Tea time is anywhere between three and five in the afternoon.
Four o'clock is customary, but not set in stone.
Scones, clotted cream, preserves.
Or a cookie.

Sometime later a weak gin and tonic, maybe before or after another bowl of tobacco. And a lovely curry dinner at around eight o'clock.

Another pipe.



I'm just letting you know what would be much better than either your or my reality today.


Sunset at this time of year is very beautiful. Absolutely the right place to have afternoon tea would naturally face west or northwest, so as to have a view of glowing clouds and fog rolling in.

Lapsang Souchong, or strong Ceylon.










Do not tell me I'm wrong.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are you such a cigar-and-pipe snob? Why can't you ever smoke cigarettes, like most normal people?

I recently upped my daily intake from ten packs of cigs a day (one carton) to twelve. Pipes are too fussy except for weekends and special occasions.

The back of the hill said...

No one can smoke that many cigarettes a day.

Anonymous said...

You are wrong. I chain smoke the entire time from 8 AM to midnight, every day. And I enjoy every single one of the 240 cigarettes.

The back of the hill said...

Heshy, you're a nutter.

Anonymous said...

Who's Heshy?

Anonymous said...

The nutter, obviously.

Search This Blog

THEY'RE GROOVY AND SENTIENT!

In many ways I am a severely disapproving sort. I dislike tattoos, piercings, patchouli, raggedy tee-shirts, potsmoking, public misbehaviour...