Tuesday, November 10, 2015

燒鴨之隨想 RANDOM THOUGHTS WHILE EATING ROAST DUCK

It was a choice of bittermelon and spareribs over rice (苦瓜排骨飯 'fu-gwaa paai-gwat faan') or roast duck over rice (燒鴨飯 'siu ngaap faan'). I like both, but wisely I chose duck.
It was exceedingly delicious, and remarkably cheap.
With tea and soup, five and a half dollars.
Better than anything suburban.



嘩,乜咁靚嘅鹹水雞,看起來都好可口!
['wah, mat-gam leng ge haam seui kai, hon hei loi dou hou ho hau!']


The restaurant in question has superior roast or brined meats, and a keenly talented kitchen besides.

While happily eating juicy Donald, several thoughts randomly entered and left my head.

"That's the fifth customer asking if they have roast pork foretrotter (豬手 'jyu sau'; "pig hand"), but each one gets told that only the back foot (後腿 'hau keuk') is left. It must be popular."

"Oh boy! Fatty duck, fatty duck!"

"Hah! The food is too salty for Savage Kitten's sensitive white boyfriend! They'll never eat here!"

"The early waitress has small bosoms and looks so young, but she's already married and a mother."

"Oh boy! Fatty duck, fatty duck!"

"Man, both the thin one and her friend with the round face and the thighs like giant hams are thoroughly enjoying the chicken wings! They look so happy!"

"These tables are entirely not sticky, and everything is clean."

"Am I the only white guy here? Why yes I am!"

"Pity they don't serve rabbit."

"School must be out. That would explain all the floppity pony tails going down the street."

"So far every customer getting food to go has been female. Either they're gonna eat it all by themselves, or their family members are getting a treat."

"That cute little girl is staring at my duck."

"He's going to order a plate of soy pork liver, despite the risk of gout.
And she'll let him, cause he's older than her.
Good for you, gramps.
"

"The old guy must be loaded, or that's a relative. But how come he can't speak Cantonese as well as her?"

"Those large white people looking in are Northern European tourists. They look so timid."

"It would be great if there were two of us; then we could also have some charsiu."

"Wow, those saltwater chickens look scrumptious!"

"Oh boy! Fatty duck, fatty duck!"

"Dang I love grease!"


Anyway, it was so good, and the pipe I smoked afterwards while wandering down to Portsmouth Square so utterly satisfying, that I entirely forgot to buy vegetables for dinner.

There are only two chilies left.

I think I'll just have a cheese sandwich to eat later.
With sliced green Jalapeños.

And tomato.


Next time I should get some saltwater chicken (鹹水雞 'haam seui kaai', also called 鹽水雞 'yim seui kaai') to go; that way I'm sure to remember to look for gailan (芥蘭 'gaai laan') on Stockton Street before heading home.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...