Thursday, June 30, 2011

TOTORO DREAMING

I have a furry troll on my desk. Often, when I’m on the phone, I can see him moving over to my pipes and inspecting them. Occasionally he sniffs at them, smelling the echoes of past tobacco smoke.
Sometimes he picks one up and dances around with it.

The customers on the other end of the line are not aware of these developments.
Which is as it should be.
Nobody needs to know that I have a six-inch tall Japanese person keeping me company.

This weekend I will probably spend much time at the office.
It’s calm and peaceful here, just me and the troll.
No idea what he eats, but I’m fairly certain it isn’t normal food. Perhaps he 'harvests' cookies from the office kitchen.

I’m wondering if I should put him at the window so that he can see the fireworks this year.
Either that, or keep him company while watching the display.
Maybe he’ll finally speak.

He'll likely simply ask for a bowl of tobacco.
He’s a troll, and from Japan.
So of course he smokes.

Should be interesting to find out if he’s a Latakia aficionado, or has a fondness for Virginia-Perique blends.
Maybe I should sniff the pipes on the shelf behind me.
I haven’t smoked them in a while, they’re my reserves.
But if they smell recently used, I will know. It's him.
After I have left in the evening he probably goes up to the roof to smoke, and look at the stars.
Small troll, lit pipe, and a gentle breeze.
Contentment.


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly: 

LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woof! Large troll!

Search This Blog

ROTTEN BRAINS IN RED STATES

So my bright and optimistic idea of getting out of the house relatively early for a haircut, lunch, and afternoon tea, all punctuated by som...