Thursday, October 22, 2015

A MATTER OF OPINION

You may have heard the term here a couple of times over the past few months: hoohah. And you probably did not know exactly what it was. Well, you are not alone. As a noun, hoohah ('hoo-ha') is somewhat baffling, especially if like me you always assumed that it had a sexual connotation, and was an object not a substance.

For a long time I assumed that it was a jocular reference to a woman's errm, you know, that, eh, whatsis. What we shall not mention, this being a blog for churchgoers and other perturbable naifs.

It turns out that in this household, I was wrong.

Yes, it does mean that.


But much more. So much more.


HOOHAH

It is also a Yiddishism indicating scorn, rather like a raspberry cheer made flesh, an utterance of contempt or disappreciation, and thus by extension the object or quality that elicited the sneer.

A descriptive adjective. A quality.
A characteristic or attribute.

The Republican party is a load of hoohah. The weather report is nothing but hoohah. Dialogue on reality shows is, uniformly, rumbling or whining hoohah. White folks tofu cookery is hoohah.


And, as an object, if not necessarily a body part, men also have it.

I'm not quite sure, but I think it's my gentlemanly bits.

Which, according to some, are icky-poo.


As detailed last year:
Nasty, glittering, and shaped like a burrito


"Is it round? Square? Triangular?
Perhaps trapezoid shape?"

"IT'S NARSTY!"


Until that conversation, I had no idea that I had one. Now I do.
Still not entirely sure what is meant by the term, though.
Maybe it's my insufferable air of nonchalance.

Apparently the small stuffed animals have been observing me as I ponce around the apartment in my skin, and they are not happy with what they see. After my apartment mate has left for the day, the froad, sock-sheep, purple cat, and sundry teddy bears et autres are the only other people here, and I would have thought that they would have had the courtesy and discretion to look the other way when I strip, if necessary make themselves scarce, but that may have been too much to ask.

They've been judging my hoohah.

And finding it wanting.



If I had my druthers, I should like a second opinion.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

e-kvetcher said...

>Nasty, glittering, and shaped like a burrito

I thought it was the map of Tasmania

The back of the hill said...

It's a natural misapprehension. And the more I think about it, the more everything resembles the map of Tasmania.

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...