Sunday, December 12, 2010

THE DINNER TABLE ISSUE

Bit of a quandary. As you have noticed, food is one of my major obsessions.
I like to cook, I like to eat. But in the past few months, I have hardly done any cooking. There doesn’t seem to be much point it any more, not without someone to eat with.
It’s the sharing of a meal that makes it worthwhile. Good company – for instance, a charming young lady at the same table – makes food taste so much better.

The other night I made myself a bowl of noodles. Somehow I got distracted, and the next morning I discovered it on the table.
I had only had a few bites. It had been good, but I didn’t have much of an appetite the previous evening.
Food by oneself is mere rote eating, it has no significance.


Consider this: it’s six a clock on a Sunday evening, and I’m sitting at my desk at work, wondering what to eat. Not that I’m hungry, but if I’m going to have a drink later, it would be best not to do that on an empty stomach. The list of eateries near the bar where I shall have my cocktail is fairly extensive – three Chinese, two Thai, two Pizza, a Mexican restaurant, two Vietnamese restaurants, two Mediterranean restaurants, three Sushi places, two steak houses, a seafood restaurant, a very good French place ……… none of them seem particularly appealing, and most places serve portions that are far too large for just one person.
Well, one person who doesn’t enjoy his food as much anymore.

Now, if I had someone to eat with, I would jump at any one of those restaurants. Even forego the drink.

[Seriously, someone out there! If you’ve got sparkling eyes and a sunny disposition, how about it? Dinner and a movie, and I’ll get you home at a reasonable hour. I’ll even dress for the occasion! And I promise I won’t try to grope you. Though if you’re up for some totally innocent hand-holding I would be delighted!]


Tonight I’ll probably just head right on over to cocktails. Food without company has near-zero appeal.
There will be folks I know at the bar. Likeable people. Gregarious.
It’s better than just sitting alone at home (even though I am catching up on my reading, big time).
As long as there aren’t any couples sucking each other’s tonsils out, petting each other, or audibly smooching, it will be just the ticket.
One or two hours in a public place, with a cocktail or two. Yeah, I’ll be fine.
A glass of warm milk and a cookie before going to bed, later.

This sucks. But it’s really not that bad.


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Tzipporah said...

Sending you warm, platonic, non-Cantonese hugs from up north. Hang in there.

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...