Friday, November 24, 2023

IT WAS SMOOTH

Lunch yesterday was a simple bowl of rice porridge and a fried dough stick. Which I enjoyed immensely in an environment totally free of tourists, seeing as it is foreordained that large people from the red states don't touch stuff like that in Chinatown -- or the scrumptious siumai that were also on offer there -- because it's not deepfried or sweet.
Slippery chicken congee: 滑雞粥 ('gwat gai juk').

The customers at that time consisted of two old grannies scarfing noodles, a Mandarin speaking family of which the father was Cantonese, and a geezer.
Besides myself, I mean.

It's a place I need to go to more often. Despite the lack of Hong Kong Milk Tea. I left totally satisfied and fortified. Dang there's a huge number of tourists visiting the city. Chinatown was probably the only neighborhood that was open, even the grocery store where I get many of my condiments and dry noodles was doing a booming business, although they do not cater in the slightest to outsiders.
While I was lunching, several groups of tourists did come in, look at the foods and point, and, after due consideration, without once asking questions or buying anything, leave. Because nothing looked crustily deepfried or glopped with reddish syrup sauce. At least, I assume that's why. I believe all foods in the red states are either deepfat fried, or slightly burned, and served with sweet glazy sauces. It would account for girth, I guess, but begs the question did they need a shoehorn to leave the plane or do flight crews apply lubricants?

If those people made congee, the major ingredient would be refined sugar, followed by food colouring. Instead of nice bits of chicken, it would be barbecue pork and brisket, and instead of a fried dough stick they'd serve waffles alongside. And it would come in a bucket.


All day yesterday social media was filled with pictures of inedible stuff.
Too which I contributed also; I posted a painting of haggis.


Candied tubers and wheat starch tubes with American cheesefood extrudite are NOT festive. Squash à l'Américaine and succotash aren't even edible. Duck is a much much better bird, consider a cheese plate later, and don't invite your rightwing uncle the alcoholic or your dreary maiden aunts the fervent believers.

Pie? Pie is good. Keep the pie.

Ditch the pumpkin.



Yes, I did have grilled animal protein and noodly substances later, along withe shrimp and potatoes. My apartment mate cooked. Too much. She likes food, and likes sharing.
She is a generous person. Very much appreciated.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

WATCH OUT FOR THE WILD LIFE

The first few hours of being out and about were the same length of time as the last few hours. But I got a lot more done, because it was coo...