Thursday, January 16, 2014

HONG KONG STYLE FRENCH TOAST - OR, DENIALISM, SELF-INDULGENCE, AND SOMETHING FREUDIAN, WHILE CLOGGING THE ARTERIES

Late yesterday evening I asked my Facebook friends which one was better, shellfish or venery. Sofar the results have been rather disappointing. Turns our that of the two hundred people I know, only two have informed opinions.

One of them wrote: "For me, eating Nutella out of the jar with a spoon is as good as it gets."

The only other response was "Shellfish at Waterbar for happy hour then Scoma's for full entrees and then back home for venery. But which is better? Stomach or loin. A challenging decision. I'm going with venery."

Only TWO opinions.

One of which stresses Nutella.


While I can imagine a hazelnut chocolate spread being employed in both categories, it seems more instinctive to throw it into the venery basket. So I'll conclude that that's two thumbs up for venery and a shout-out for shellfish.

The problem is: I know how to go about the shellfish thing. But I live in San Francisco, so venery is well-nigh out of the question.
Barring temptation from thokunni alfar.


I really don't feel like buying a jar of Nutella.


"Eating Nutella out of the jar with a spoon is as good as it gets."


I've got a jar of peanut butter.

It's a sign.

Naturally, that suggests Hong Kong style French toast.
What else could it possibly be?

Two slices of white bread, crusts cut off. One of them smeared liberally with peanut butter, then the other one pressed on top. The whole thing dipped in beaten egg, and fried in lots of butter till golden. Serve with thick drizzles of sweetened condensed milk and golden syrup, more melting butter on top, and a dusting of powdered sugar.

Best with a nice hot or cold glass of pantyhose tea.

Still not an adequate substitute for venery, but pretty darn close.
Perhaps I should share it with someone.



NOTES:

非常出名香港茶餐廳之法蘭西多士 —— 食材: 麵包2片、蛋2隻、花生醬適量、同奶油、煉奶、糖粉、糖漿少許。 麵包切去粗燥的邊緣, 分別抹上花生醬, 麵包疊。雞蛋打散後, 盡量將麵包均勻沾上蛋液, 加熱平底鍋, 加入奶油至奶油稍熱, 將沾了蛋液的麵包以中火煎至兩邊緣各煎至熟。 放融化的黃油、黃糖漿、淡奶和糖粉在上面。

Words that spellcheck hated: Venery. Sofar. Nutella. Waterbar. Scoma's. Hong.
I just wrote every one of them again, so there.
I like teasing spellcheck.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Beavis said...

You said venry! Heh heh, heh heh, heh heh ....

Search This Blog

IN TUNE WITH WILD LIFE

That noise outside while I was drifting awake? Turned out to be the streetsweeping vehicle. Not actually an owl. But it had sounded ike an o...