Wednesday, July 24, 2013

SINGLE MEN AND FISH CURRY

As a single man I get to do whatever I want. There are both negatives and positives about that. The negatives include a lack of interaction, a complete absence of naughty business, and a rather cold bed late at night.
The positives, remarkably, are also about things which just aren't there; no Hello Kitty crap, no copies of Vogue or Real Estate Times cluttering up the pillows, and no exclamations of "good lord how can you eat THAT at six in the morning!".

A single man can fix himself stuff for breakfast which women will not touch. Such as a tasty plate of fish curry over rice, with some Indian pickle, and toasted cashews thrown on top for a textural effect.

It was delicious.


I used the last of the tilapia, with a fried-onion paste that included coriander, ginger, turmeric, and cayenne. By adding chopped peeled tomatoes the acid balance was rectified, and coconut milk made it liquid. The fish was poached therein. Yes, there were other things in there. One must always diddle with the food. It would have been nice if I also had fresh lemon grass, but that wasn't essential.
Chopped jalapeños to garnish.
Dab of sambal on the side.

The rice took longer to cook than the curry.

It was far better than fried eggs and bacon.

Everyone deserves fish curry for breakfast.


A cup of strong coffee afterwards, and calm contemplation of the day ahead. Sweet jayzis that was good. I'm sitting here with a big happy smile all over my face. Hello Kitty is at the other end of the table, looking speculatively at my empty plate. I bet she's jealous. No one gives her fish curry in the morning.
Heh.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

4 comments:

Arno said...

Hmm.. I never used tomatoes in fish curry.. Shall try it next time!

The back of the hill said...

Tomatoes in lieu of tamarin (Asem Djawa).
Adds a nice orange hue to the curry, and combines marvelously well with the ground coriander.

Arno said...

This week I (finally) made fish curry with mashed tomatoes. I must say that the balance of the whole dish was better so thanks for the tip! Also from the misses ;)

The back of the hill said...

Glad you enjoyed it!

Search This Blog

THEY'RE GROOVY AND SENTIENT!

In many ways I am a severely disapproving sort. I dislike tattoos, piercings, patchouli, raggedy tee-shirts, potsmoking, public misbehaviour...