Any dream that features a restaurant in Holland winning a French culinary award is, ab initio and by definition, off-kilter. Especially if it's a vegan steak house. Now that part is believable, as the Dutch are goofy enough to think that that is a good idea. Dutch cooking is marked by unidentifiable fried objects, many of which are in fact delicious. Like the frikandel, various types of kroket, and things like bamischijven, nasiballen, and berenhappen.
Please don't ask.
There's also Indonesian Dutch food.
Which is also delicious.
Far less goofy.
And we have cheese and herring.
Sadly, none of any of that was on the menu at the restaurant this afternoon, so I ordered stirfried river noodles with chicken (雞炒米粉 'kai chaau mai fan, "bihun goreng ayam") instead, which I dolled-up with sambal and chili oil.
A swords, sorcery, and taoist sages with impossible facial hair series was on teevee, featuring a handsome young man, a pretty girl, and a green dumpling daemon.
Plus a well-lit library deep under the mountain top temple.
Lunch was good. A little too greasy. Probably to keep the broad rice sticks from sticking to the pan. There's a doggie bag in the refrigerator right now. I'll probably add a fried egg and some slivered ginger. I would add fresh Jalapeños, except that because our agribusiness is now operating on libertarian principles and policing itself, those are now unsafe.
Along with eggs, beef, blueberries, lettuce, and probably many more.
I'll take my chances on the damn' eggs.
Probably no eggs available locally are from the Midwest or Texas.
Basically, if your food doesn't come from California, you're playing Russian Roulette with your meals. The rest of the country is a filthy unclean toxic hazard zone where Mad Max runs the farm, with anything Texan probably guaranteed to send you to the crapper or a hospital.
The bookseller's bus was a little late, and I had already finished my pipe over twenty minutes before he showed up. Normally it's a bit earlier. The burger place was not crowded, his food arrived with speed, and the less said about the house wine the better.
The karaoke joint had people acting ugly white inside, and the former bail-out bar was doing last call as we passed. We went directly to the third bar. The bail-out from the bail-out, as it were. Where there was something mean but beautiful on teevee.
Almost unnoticed, an incident outside required three cop cars and an ambulance.
I rather wish I had seen much more of it than I did.
No clue what had happened.
Much like everything I saw on teevee.
==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:
Post a Comment