Saturday, September 02, 2017

IT IS COOL AND REFRESHING

Quite understandably you did not wish to cook in this heat. Even though the apartment wasn't that bad, because it's insulated somewhat by the poor shmoo who lives upstairs. You had to go out anyway, to your bank in Chinatown, so you decided to go eat at a familiar place.
Where you arrived a little after teatime.
Late lunch, or an early supper.
Fish fragrance eggplant.


魚香茄子飯

It was very good, but you could only finish half, because what you did not realize at the time was that it was over one hundred degrees Fahrenheit in downtown San Francisco.

The staff at the restaurant were clearly suffering from the heat, and looked nearly sick from it. The grandma barely had enough energy to follow her soap opera avidly, the auntie in the kitchen was apathetic when she brought out my food, and when the mom and her little daughter came in they both looked limp.

That girl will probably grow up to be a strong minded woman. She told me loudly and fiercely that it was too hot. Why was it so hot? It shouldn't be!
And she opined that taking off clothes, followed by splashing with water, would be a good thing.

"IT IS TOO HOT!"

My explanation of weather patterns and inland heat fell on deaf ears, but I'm glad that she is not blaming me for the high temperatures.

Because, truthfully, it ain't my fault.


The previous day my apartment mate had come damned close to blaming me, because as she explained it I had been born in Southern California and was therefore used to this stuff, whereas she a nice San Francisco girl was not, and didn't have to put up with it dammit. Clearly I was completely in the wrong on this matter, and therefore somehow to blame.

It's that strange Cantonese American logic.
I am white, how should I know?

I could have advised her to take off all her clothes and splash herself with water, but that would have breached the proprieties, seeing as we are not a couple. When you are in the presence of male person who is not your lover, helpmeet, significant other, boyfriend, or someone to whom you wish to get closer, do NOT disrobe. It may be wrong. And do not encourage him if through some lapse of judgment he decides to.

You may splash, if fully clothed.

Only.




A few more days like this and people will be rioting naked in the streets. There was some frightful pink flesh visible today already.
Please don't wear shorts.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...