Thursday, September 14, 2017

THEY ALSO DO WHITE BREAKFAST

While eating lunch and watching the television in the corner I also scoped out the specials on the walls. For most of them a translation was provided, but there were five listed near the teevee with no English.
Breakfast noodles.

I should go there for breakfast sometime, but I had already decided on the Thai gravy pork chop rice (泰汁豬扒飯 'taai jap chyu baa faan') and the kitchen stops doing breakfast at around eleven. Much of their business is early in the morning, and lunch is mostly the icing on the cake, and a far more casual thing, seeing as they close at three thirty.

This was one of the very few times I got out of the house early enough to have lunch there and dawdle over my hot beverage.
Which is a precious pleasure.

Their lunch specials come with soup of the day, garlic bread, and Hong Kong style milk tea.

In any case, the Chinese-only breakfast specials did not strike me as in any way racist or discriminatory, seeing as I too will assume that most if not entirely all Caucasians and many American-born Chinese would not consider them suitable food for the crack of dawn.
Maybe even not ever.

蠔油豬肚湯麵 Oyster sauce pig stomach soup noodles.
蠔油豬肚米粉 Oyster sauce pig stomach rice vermicelli.
蠔油豬肚河粉 Oyster sauce pig stomach rice stick.
蠔油豬肚瀨粉 Oyster sauce pig stomach laaifun.
蠔油豬肚公仔麵 Oyster sauce pig stomach insta-noodle.

[Explicata: 蠔油豬肚湯麵 'hou-yau chyu-tou tong min' 米粉 'mai fan' 河粉 'ho fan' 瀨粉 'laai fun' 公仔麵 'gung jai min'.]


You can see now why I am determined to go there for breakfast, and soon. It sounds scrumpty, even though pig stomach is something impossible to eat. Perhaps they'll do a substitution? I'm thinking oyster sauce PORK CHOP laaifun. As just one thing that comes easily to mind.
蠔油豬扒瀨粉 'hou-yau chyu baa laai fan'.
I'll gladly pay more for that.


新麗晶西餐廳
638 Pacific Avenue,
San Francisco, CA 94133.
(415) 392-6688

For breakfast they have things with bacon and eggs, or ham and eggs, steak and eggs, pork chop and eggs, or spam, sausage, and eggs .....

AND they have Sriracha hotsauce!


I'm also thinking that I should ask about 港式咖哩豬扒。
Curry pork chop ('gong sik gaa-lei chyu baa').
Maybe for lunch next time. With rice.


Please note that I post their name and address with enormous trepidation, because my places are so often not other people's places, and this place is seriously old-school Hong Kong Cantonese. Besides, Caucasians, Indians, Europeans, and Americanized Chinese, all delight in slamming restaurants where something was not up to their impossibly high standards OR they weren't treated like some deity shat them out, and will find anything imaginable to belly-ache about. Especially young urban types.

Shan't even mention the Filipinos.


Am I obsessing over pork chops?



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...