Thursday, June 01, 2017

GLUTEN, GRILLED MEAT, AND CHILIES

At teatime I was in a Vietnamese-Chinese restaurant having a sandwich and some coffee. After which I wandered around the neighborhood with my pipe. It struck me at that time that what was needed was small Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants for working people near my job -- to which I will be headed in a few hours -- but if such places did open up, they would be picketed by white people offended that gluten and meat were served.
Because white people in the Bay Area are stupid.
Many of them, probably the majority.
They are born to disapprove.

The pretentious white people of San Francisco, Berkeley, and Marin County believe in mystery religions, espouse popular causes, avoid meat and gluten, practice yoga, and are heartfelt, sincere, and sensitive.
They nurture the Maya, Palestinians, Native Americans.
Hug trees, beavers, dolphins.

My pretentions run somewhat the other way. The Maya, Pally-wallies, and Native Americans do not really concern me, animal protein is delicious, as is bread, and your allergies and food sensitivities strike me as just as frikking pretentious as your aversion to gmos and vaccination.

Nurtursome sincerity makes me heave.


You know, there's something wrong when the only customers are Chinese speakers (including myself). The food is good, the joint is clean, no one has ever gotten food poisoning, and the coffee is exceptional, even if it isn't flavoured with caramel raspberry unicorn syrup.


My work days are marked by tuna salad, or the new Italian cold cut sandwich. Either one of those with Sriracha, which is the only thing that makes Marin County edible. Yes, yes, I know that there is some good food in the boondocks, but get real dammit, I use public transportation to get to work, I don't have time to run all over the primitive part of the world looking for lunch, and the place just isn't urban enough to concentrate eats with flavour in one convenient zone within ten minutes walk of my job. Marin isn't a place, it's a buggered-up state of mind.
Real people live in the city.


Let me tell you what you can do with that yoga mat.
I'll squirt Sriracha on it to make it easier.


BTW: Kale gives you cancer.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

4 comments:

Concerned said...

Did you post this on Shavuot?????

What ever happened to this blog's being shomer shabbos?! That doesn't include shomer yom tov?!!!!

The back of the hill said...

Yep. Posted it on Shavuos. Not that shomer, which, given that I am not going to convert, and anyone not commanded to do something .....

The shabbes restriction is self-imposed, from the days when I still commented on various ortho-blogs.
At that time taking advantage of a seventh day when many did not seemed unfair, as well as imposing a stumbling block.

It is the minhag of this blog not to post from Friday noonish to Saturday after dark.
Minhag is not necessarily founded on halacha.

Concerned said...

"Shavuos" is a stupid spelling. The a in the first syllable works only in Sephardic pronunciation, and the s at the end works only in Sephardic. So you can't have "Sha" at the beginning and "os" at the end. Artscroll are morons.

The back of the hill said...

"and the s at the end works only in Sephardic"

Surely you mean Ashkenazus there?

Or Ari. Crypto-Ari.

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...