Tuesday, May 21, 2013

ESSENTIAL NOODLES

I had just finished noshing on a meat and vegetable bun and a plate of small dumplings when she came in. She ordered a bowl of noodles and sat down at the counter to wait while it was being prepared.
While observing her, I loaded my pipe.
She did not look cute. At first.

Most men will automatically know what I mean.

Then I got a good look at her face. Firm lips, with character. Intelligent bright eyes, excellent proportions to cheeks, forehead, chin, and nose; altogether a very expressive visage. With a note of fragile vulnerability.

Just colour me a dirty old man right now.

I can still remember her face. And, given that she is a teenager, that is not a good thing. She just looked so damned intelligent and personable!
At that age humans are often unstable and quite off-kilter emotionally. Rather like a vial of nitroglycerine, and likely to explode in your face. They are dangerous, by several different definitions. But some of them are already shaping up to be fascinating individuals that, once they have negotiated the shallows of adolescence and entered the deep water of adulthood, will be incredibly fine to know. Whatever self-possession and budding appeal they have as high-schoolers will, one hopes, have fully and magnificently bloomed.

Intelligent eyes. An expressive face. Personality reflected.

Dirty old men should not hang out overlong at noodle shops frequented by sweet pudgy teenagers with charmingly alert faces. They are likely to overstay their welcome if they do, and upset the balance of the universe.
As well as spoil the noodles.
Some teenage girls are by their self-possession and sheer goodness already well on their way toward being interesting and worthwhile adults.
That is laudable, and the process should not be interrupted.
Noodles are an essential ingredient at that stage.
Step away from the growing thing.

She's overweight, chunky even. One might say a wee bit ungainly. And short. But whoever ends up inviting her to the prom will be proud of his date.
And undoubtedly they'll go out for yummy noodles afterwards, before he drops her off at her doorstep.


I do NOT need to see a sweet chubby girl with a lovely intelligent face showing all kinds of love and affection to a steaming bowl of broth, meat, and pasta. It wouldn't be healthy; likely to make me unstable and quite off-kilter emotionally.


Those delightful eyebrows. Oh my.


I left before her noodles came.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...