Sunday, December 03, 2017

THE MONSTROSITY

The key difference is that I know that I'm dysfunctional, they lack that self-awareness. And, in truth, they are the norm nowadays. I go to the karaoke bar of an evening to daydream amid the hubbub and the racket, they are there to stare at their screens while surrounded by other people.
The ideal environment has functional seating, countertops to rest your electronic devices, rechargers, enough lighting that you don't stumble, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic bevande, and music.
No neighbors to complain about the noise.
A large Tongan at the door.
Toilets.

There is no one here in  a chicken suit.
I'll let him know you're looking.


If you added intravenous drips, they'd spend all of their free time there.
In between going somewhere that pays them to stare intently at other and bigger glowing screens during daylight hours.


Noise is essential for survival.


At present I am in the teevee room, with a little vodka and a small cigar. It is quiet here, but the sound of wandering tribals is audible from the thoroughfare a little over. They gaily ambulate between the liquor store and the donut shop, past casual pukers and bacon-wrapped hotdogs.
A murmuring that rises and falls, like angry restive nature.
Occasional hoots and horns. A forest glade. Scurrying.
Hunter-gatherers with little glowing screens.
Uber, Yelp, and insta-message.
Oh look, Facebook!
Hot noodles!
Dude!


I do not have a cell-phone and I do not realize what I'm missing. I spend my life being unconnected at all times, except when I am near a land-line, which occasionally interrupts whatever I am doing to ask for the lady of the house, inform me of insurance plans and great financial opportunities, inquire whether I habla Español, or talk obsessively about Vape pens, cigars, or even little white nipples. I am unhip. About all of it.

Friends and colleagues have insta-messaging.
Sometimes they're "ineffective".

Crippled.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...