Thursday, December 31, 2015

YOUR FOOD STINKS

As you know this blogger is NOT a breakfast person. Frankly, the putrid muck Americans stuff in their gobs at the crack of dawn nauseates and appalls me. Sugar, grease, and boiled starch.
With some of the worst coffee on the planet.

Breakfast muffins, breakfast burritos, and breakfast on a stick.

The Americans, however, pale into insignificance when compared to the British. Limp bacon, fried tomato, bean muck, and cold toast.
Of which, strangely, some people are inordinately fond.
And, if you're lucky, sausage and black pudding.
If you're not, sausage and black pudding.


"Egg, bacon, sausage, beans, tomatoes, toast, hash browns, black pudding, small chunks of lard, coffee or tea."


The last time I had a British fry-up, I had that other thing that England is famous for: three full days of acid indigestion. I couldn't wait to get to civilization after that. The Dutch may not be the most imaginative cooks on the planet, but anything beats the repulsive disasters with which native speakers of English customarily start the day.

[This blogger is a native speaker of English, by the way.]


Instead of burnt grease and assorted spackle, I should prefer a small bowl of rice porridge with lean pork and preserved egg, some hot buttered toast with Oxford marmalade, a little sauerkraut or kimchi, and strong coffee. Then a pipeful of aged Virginia tobacco, and a newspaper.
With, naturally, a second cup of strong coffee.
Around nine or ten o'clock.
Not at dawn.



I'll admit to a weakness for tapsilog, litsilog, or tosilog.
Masarap na pagkain, sigurado.
Early lunch.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

6 comments:

e-kvetcher said...

What is a grit anyway?

The back of the hill said...

Good one.

I've actually begun to like grits. But not plain boiled with butter.

Anonymous said...

No hash or scrapple?

Anonymous said...

You may chuckle at this.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/mar/22/british-fry-up-disgrace-breakfast

M

The back of the hill said...

Chuckle? Try 'giggled'.

Still got a big smile all over my puss.

Anonymous said...

Hash is good for people whose teeth have gone bye-bye.

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...