Wednesday, September 19, 2012

KICKING AND SCREAMING INTO THE 20TH CENTURY. NO WAIT, THE 21ST. WHATEVER!

As part of the company move I have been handed a laptop and told to work from home at least one day a week.  Along with a cellular device.

The last time I was so connected was when I still had a beeper.
I stopped using the beeper back about five years ago, when I discovered that there were no pay-phones left anymore. 
To listen to messages and return calls required being near the two land lines I always employed - my office phone, and my home phone.
Fat lot of good calling me in between those two points would do.

Stop sneering!  I got rid of the carrier pigeons years ago.
By the late nineties, you looked stupid with a pigeon clipped to your belt.
The only people who still used them were certifiable nerds with celluloid pocket protectors to keep the pigeon crap from befouling their frock coats.

Now I shall have to discover Wi-Fi.
And hot spots.
As well as batteries.
Indeed, I am just thrilled.
The full spectrum of electronic pigeon crap.

If you see a furious badger in a Northbeach Café or Chinatown noodle soup restaurant smacking expensive equipment with a sliderule while growling 'work, darn you, work', do not be surprised.  That will be me.
I own several sliderules.
And I know how to use them.


I also usually write in longhand.


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...