Monday, September 03, 2012

ROUNDING THE EDGES

Most people will consciously try to do the right thing.
I firmly believe this, but I also know that quite a few may be entirely wrong about what the right thing is. Especially as regards their social interactions.
As well as, often, their personal behaviour.
Some things remain variable or unclear.

One must have understanding for what seems right to them at the time. Cut people some slack - unless all the facts are known, and priorities and values taken into account, one should not be too judgmental.
Within reason, be forgiving.


CREDIT AND COLLECTIONS

Among my portfolio of accounts to whom I extend credit and from whom I must collect payment are about fifteen hundred small retailers, some of whom I have been dealing with for years. A fair number will be late on their bills. Which is not something to be encouraged, though it is often unavoidable.
From the company's standpoint, it would be better that they paid us before anyone else, including their landlord and their employees. Naturally that isn't how they see it.
Very commendably they choose to honour their obligations to the people who depend upon them first, and put certain invoices on the back burner till a bit more money comes in.
Retail workers are not paid well.
But they should be paid on time.

I understand this, and unreservedly support it.

Over the years I've heard any number of reasons for late payments and excuses for postponing.
Collections seminars usually stress that one should seldom if ever believe what debtors say, and just keep hammering the point home that this bill must be paid. Now. Or. Else.
The theory is that those who pay late always lie.

Frankly, that's horsepucky.

I am willing to believe my customers.
When they're honest with me, I'll be straight with them.
I seriously doubt that I have been wrong more often than those credit and collections officers who have pursued hard-nosed tactics. And as long as delinquent accounts call me and explain what the delay is, and when they reasonably expect to settle the debt - as long as they keep me in the loop - they'll get my respect and co-operation.

In both life and business, things don't always work out perfectly.
Most people will try to do the right thing.

[Three words of advice to shopkeepers:
1. Protect your personal assets by incorporating.
2. Always inform your supplier if you have to delay payment.
3. Avoid purchasing more than you need.]


As with work, so also with personal matters.
Not everyone has identical circumstances or is dealing with the same facts, and not all conclusions are inevitable.
In the fullness of time people may change what they think.
Allow for a broader perspective.
As well as mistakes.
Be lenient.


Life isn't all sharp corners.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a very social philosophy for net terms.

Search This Blog

BEFORE THE RAINS

Well, sleep was sheerly awful. Legs. My cardiologist tells me that there is a solution for that. Yet I hesitate, because I'm walking mor...