Wednesday, July 24, 2024

JUST PECKING MY WAY THROUGH LIFE

So I did not do as my routine demanded, and didn't go to my usual chachanteng, having left the house too late, and not wanting to inconvenience their staff so close to them getting off work after lunch. Instead I went to the new cheung fan place on Stockton -- the same one that 'R' said was no big deal, mow mei ga, hmmph -- and had a extremely enjoyable meal.
豬肉芫茜腸粉,鮮蝦同蔥腸粉 ('jyu yiuk yuen sai cheung fan', 'sin haa tong chung cheung fan'; rolled sheet rice noodle with pork and cilantro, fresh shrimp and chopped scallion).
Both with a drizzle of soy sauce and a squirt of Sriracha.
It was quite lovely.

After a brief conversation a woman there complimented me on how well I spoke Cantonese. That, too, was quite lovely. Especially because I think it's crappy.
But I'm good at getting food.

Upon returning home I gave some fresh katjang pandjang and peria (豆角,涼瓜) to the elderly Indonesian Chinese auntie downstairs. She can't move very well and seldom heads into Chinatown. And her mother and I used to speak Dutch with each other, so there is a connection. Not sure how she feels about salt fish (鹹魚), so I've never brought her that.
Her doctor may have advised her against it (as has mine, but I wasn't listening).
I'm quite pleased with a new snack I found while shopping; 芝士鹹蛋黃餅,北海島風味 (cheesy salted egg yolk biscuits, Hokkaido taste). Remarkable. I had no idea at all that the Japanese were into salted egg yolks. The cheese I knew about; there is such a variety of cheesy crunchy snacks crisps puffs and nibblies from Japan it boggles the mind.
They even feature as the favourite flavour in manga and anime.

In any case, it's yummy, and probably not good for you.

I'm always on the lookout for new fun eaties.

Curiosity leads to crunchy bits.



ADDENDUM: AT THE BAKERY FOR TEATIME

Mister 'S', who is an old friend of 'R', is, at this stage, deaf as a post. Which means that he only half hears what anyone says, jumps to conclusions about what was inaudible or unclear, and responds accordingly. Conversations with him are laborious and surreal. Sometimes quite berserk. His social life must be multifaceted and coruscating in consequence.

He doesn't speak more than a little bit of Chinese.
But half mis-understands it.
Very ABC.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

DROP THOSE COCONUTS!

Confession: I have never watch Gilligan's Island, and until moments ago didn't even know that it starred Bob Denver. Both the show a...