Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A DIMINISHING SENSE OF SOCIETY

When I left, I realized that true friendship is harder than it appeared.
The names of everyone there were familiar, but I actually knew very little about them, and preferred to keep it so. Only a handful stood out as people whom I would want to know for the rest of their lives.
Friendliness does not always translate to friendship.

I am certain that it works both ways.

It takes effort.

The number of times one of them has included me can be counted on the fingers of two thumbs, and it was the same person in both cases.

That's NOT a sad comment on my life, merely an observation. Being a mature man nowadays means that one really does not know very many people, nor know them well. Instead, one has Facebook friends, and social whirl buddies. People who are very much like neighbors, whom one sees under set and regular circumstances, but by whom one's absence would probably not be noticed.

"Whatever happened to ... ?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah!"


Acquaintances, colleagues, and associates.

Modern society is rather impersonal. That's just the way it is. All over the city people are preparing a dinner for one, heating up a box (cover peeled back) in the microwave, or simply picking up some food to go. They could make an effort to include others, but often the people they would like to eat with have other plans, or live in the suburbs.

There's something fake about scheduling what should be spontaneous.

"Hey, how about we go out for a bite?"

"Great! How about in August?"

"I was thinking now ... "


It is easy to loose regular contact. One stays in touch via Facebook or Twitter, but gradually there is a sense of distance.

The staff at places where I eat regularly now would be absolutely flabbergasted if I came in with someone.

And actually, I would be too.

Perhaps nicely so.



Duck. Two people can easily split a duck. Or a steamed fish and some crisp yauchoi. Or maybe just enjoy some pastry and milk-tea.
A casual snack, and conversation while walking.

I'm rather obscenely fond of duck.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, when old friends email you, you could email back.

Just saying.....

F.

Search This Blog

ROTTEN BRAINS IN RED STATES

So my bright and optimistic idea of getting out of the house relatively early for a haircut, lunch, and afternoon tea, all punctuated by som...