Friday, July 10, 2015

A CALM GREENISH HANDFUL

Yesterday evening several of us gathered, as we regularly do, to eat salami and drink wine in good company. There's always salami. Usually wine is also present, though not in a volume sufficient to squiffify the crowd.


The meeting this time was dominated by toads.

The Golden Gate Pipe Club likes toads.

We discussed toads. In detail.


I feel like I have a personal stake in toad-love. Toads are intelligent and personable. Toads are absolutely the best amphibians, far above newts or salamanders, better than frogs by a wide margin. Frogs are skittish and neurotic. When a toad trusts you, you are clearly a calm, rational, and thoughtful person. Worth knowing, and not given to any sudden movements.


Oh yes, pipes were smoked, and tobaccos were compared. Tins were passed around to sample. And there was cheese.
But we talked about toads.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...