Thursday, October 14, 2010

HAVE A GOOD LIFE

All I needed was a little water from the machine in our office kitchen. At that moment, one of my female coworkers came hurrying in and moved ahead of me, asking "can I just get my water first?"

What would you do? A gentleman yields. "Mmm, sure….., go ahead."


I occasionally regret my attempt to remain a 'gentleman'. It seems to lead to people at times running roughshod over me. It's the brash modern chase after immediate personal benefit.
Something I tend to associate with majority-culture in this country - the instant gratification upbringing, and the selfishness of today’s twenty-somethings. That, and the tendency to not even notice people until you have moved ahead of them.

"I’m not talking to you, I’m talking to Nancy!"

Okay…… shouldn’t the FIRST thing out of your mouth then have been 'good morning'? My teacup just needed a little refill, your empty super-size water bottle took a lot more time. And I was already there when YOU breezed right on ahead. Talking to Nancy so occupied your attention that you didn't notice a thing.
Does the term 'pushy' mean anything to you? How about 'rude'?

After getting your water, you started yakking with another co-worker (Nancy) who was in the kitchen.

You weren’t in ANY way rushed for time.

There are several terms in both Dutch and Chinese that I can also think of, that apply to your disconcerting Amerikaansche dringerigheid (American shove-it-in-your-faceness, lack of derech-eretz, etc.), but I suspect that even with clear annotation and explanatory comment, these would mean nothing to you. There’s a shallowness there that brooks no nuance. Nor any marked evidence of manners.
Pardon me for even thinking of such things.


==========================================================================
NOTE: If you wish, you may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

ROTTEN BRAINS IN RED STATES

So my bright and optemistic idea of getting out of the house relatively early for a haircut, lunch, and afternoon tea, all punctuated by som...