Friday, October 08, 2010

ONE PART TEARS, FIVE PARTS PISS AND VINEGAR

Some days are better than others. I’m still processing the changes in my life since Savage Kitten and I broke up, as you can well imagine. The weirdest things are the obsessive mood swings.
I am not an operatic man, and I seldom ride roller coasters.
So this is a rather new experience.


THAT FAMOUS QUASI BRITISH RESERVE

As a child I remember fierce crying jags, as an adolescent those were impossible.
For one thing, showing your vulnerable side to the vicious natives ….. errm, I mean my Dutch grammar school classmates who hated my guts, was unthinkable. Expose your soft underbelly and those little brutes would stick a verbal shiv into it. Or just punch you.

My father always told me to keep my pecker up.
That was his way of communicating that a stiff upper lip was not a bad thing.

He, my brother, and I had much need for the stiff upper lip in those days. Being Yanks in the most viciously sanctimonious country on earth was not a blessing during the late sixties and seventies (America being so, SO, much worse than even the Nazis that many Dutch despised, loathed, and hated with a fierce self-righteous passion the country where they had so many investments and which was underwriting both their economic well-being and their freedom), and my mother was dying of cancer, which in the eyes of the ignorant savages …… errm, I mean my Dutch classmates who hated my guts, was probably as contagious as the black death and had all the hell-bound sinner connotations of leprosy. In that sense, they were very religious. Bibilical, even.
The Dutch are, in some ways, quintessential bigots.
My classmates in Valkenswaard especially so.

[No, I do not correspond with any of them, and yes, I have tried to forget most of their names.]


KEEPING MY PECKER UP

When my mother died in 1977, I managed what now seems a rather gentlemanly bit of weeping, and that was it.

My grandmother with whom I lived for three years in Berkeley died in 1981.
I managed what now seems a gentlemanly bit of weeping, and that was it.

When my father passed away in 1990, I managed what now seems a gentlemanly bit of weeping, and that was it.

My brother died in 1992, so did my father’s wife. I was very fond of both of them.
I managed what now seems a gentlemanly bit of weeping …………

Not really comfortable with emotions. Not an expressive person. Rock of stability and all that, dontcha know.
I keep my pecker up.


THE WARM AND FUZZY BITS

So you can imagine how disconcerted Savage Kitten was to discover me a few weeks ago on the kitchen floor bawling like a baby.

["Oh for crapsakes, Old Toad, what are you doing down there? Come on, get up off the floor! Please!" "But I like it down here!" "It's not right! Get your a** up! " " 'z okay, it's all clean and sh*t..." "I just washed the floor!" "I know! Nice!" "Whatever... get up!" "No! It's warm down here!" "But it's the floor!!!" "Your point is ..... ?" And so on... ]

Damn, I though she wasn’t going to be back for a while!

After twenty years of being with that woman, I have finally learned to have emotions. It just took me a while to realize that.
It’s a bit disturbing, but I am convinced I am a far better person because of it.
There’s an excitement to feeling things – she may not think so, because she has been desperately unhappy at many times in her life (do NOT ask about old-fashioned Cantonese mothers, you don’t want to know!).

This is so much better than a gentlemanly bit of weeping.
Liberating, even.
Thanks, hon, I feel more human now.


Someday, I may go back to Valkenswaard with a Glock 17 to confront those beastly aboriginals …… errm, I mean my Dutch classmates who hated my guts. No discussion necessary, I am in gonzen not interested in what they think. Just some payback.
And yes, that will be a very good day.
They will be expressly permitted a gentlemanly bit of weeping.
Should be a totally new experience for the swine.


==========================================================================
NOTE: If you wish, you may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

Tzipporah said...

OK, sounds like things are on the right track after all. Good on you.

Spiros said...

Swearing helps.

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...