Friday, August 28, 2009

HEAT AND DUST

Imagine beefy frat-boys from the Mid-West. And there you have our sales department. They are big and very white.

Now imagine these wholesome chaps engaged in a spirited soft-ball game. In three digits of heat. And there you have our company picnic.


YESTERDAY, SEVERAL MILES NORTH

The city was very nice, probably around eighty degrees. The picnic was at a park in Marin county, however, where it is twice as hot. Maybe three times. Quite miserable.

As I do not play sports of any kind (too old, too pudgy, too lazy, too grumpy, and far too sensible), I was one of the very few males not to be reeking of beer by three in the afternoon.
I do not wish to suggest that these men are all alcoholics -- despite my having to fiercely drink them under the table the last time they were in town -- but it is remarkable that none of them reached for the bottled water, fruit juices, or soft drinks.
Coors, Michelob, Corona, Becks, Fat Tire, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Boddingtons, Stella Artois, Amstel, Heineken, Anchor Steam, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Budweiser, St. Pauli Girl, Fat Tire, Old Peculiar, Dos Equis, Undsoweisser, ...........

I stayed in the shade of the trees, far from the game, and very close to the garlic hummus. Most of the time the people nearby were women.
I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would chose to play sports, instead of staying close to the hummus and the women.

At one point I lost a debate with a four year old boy, the son of the CFO. You do not need to know what the subject was, but that kid will go far. He has the vocabulary of someone twice his age, and is remarkably mature.

[He too was NOT enthralled by big pink men running around in the heat.]

I have an entire year to prepare for my next debate with the little fellow.
This time I'm gonna win.

10 comments:

Telmac said...

i'd like to see that.or shrink me, and take several years out and put me there.

Grant!Patel!Baiter! said...

Somebody needs to send Mr. Patel to a good pshrink.

Tzipporah said...

Forget it. Kids under 10 are far better debaters than adults. They will follow a line of logic persistently, doggedly, especially if it involves questions of WHY they cannot:

a) eat one more
b) stay up another x minutes
c) run with a stick/rock/loaded weapon
d) get you to move so they can sit/stand/pee where you are currently placed

Spiros said...

Because I said so.

GRANT!PATEL! said...

Too much beer, not enough cheese. Mention Muenster. And blue Philly. Cheddar. Double gloucester, Hippo Creme. Bres Blue. Gorgonzola. Blue Devon. Hungarian Murkacz. And Peruvian Beaver Cheese.


---Grant Pacheesy

GRANT!PATEL! said...

Softball is for gandoos, real manly men play cricket.


---Grantly Ponston

GRANT!PATEL! said...

And it was only a matter of time ere I deviated from the pattern, what?


---George Jangliwallah

GRANT!PATEL! said...

I love kids, they are DELICIOUS!
All roasted with masalas and ghee, kabab style.


---Grant Bawarchikhannadar

GRANT!PATEL! said...

Or is that hamsters? I can never figure out the English, it is a foreign language.

Spelled funny, too.


---Grant Angrezichor

Grant Bongers said...

Oh the heck I'm saying, just wrap it all bacon up and grill with onions and pcikled peppers. It is festive, suitable summer winters all tim!

Then play crickets.

Search This Blog

WELL, HOW DID I GET HERE?

There is an air of distraction to the streets in C'town nowadays. People seem lost in thought, absent minded, somewhat out of it. And mo...