Monday, August 24, 2009

FROM MOONCAKES TO A HIGHER DEGREE OF SNARKINESS

The Bay Area Zionist Conspiracy held a meeting last month, in the Illuminati Building at the intersection of Mason and Bilderberg Streets.
Several items were discussed in detail.


AGENDA:
Ruling the world by proxy.
Subverting film festivals.
Exposing Ann Coulter as a crypto-Jew.
Stealing organs.
Perfecting our Jedi-like powers of mind control.

It was, of course, a grand success. Especially that last item. Which is why you are now reading this blog. Keep watching the pendulum as it swings back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. You will send me all your money.

I shall not be surprised if some idiot cites this post as proof that Jews control the universe.


A HIGHER DEGREE OF SNARKINESS

Now, gratuitously, I must mention that some of the Jews, crypto-Jews, semi-Jews, and Anarcho-Masons in the Bay Area have started another blog. More Jedi mind control, rest assured.
Keep watching the pendulum as it swings back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. You will send me all your money.

PRO-ISRAEL BAY BLOGGERS
http://proisraelbaybloggers.blogspot.com/
So far, there are thirteen contributors:
Anarcho~Zionist
BBJ
Chaim ben David
DEATH BY NOODLES
Dusty
Friar Yid (not Shlita)
Fuzpin
Gland 'X'
GRANT!PATEL!
MacTav
News Service
Steffy
The back of the hill
ViciousKitty


GLINTING EYES

Which leads me to mooncakes. As Steffy, one of the contributors of Pro-Israel Bay Bloggers, writes on her own blog, this is the time of year when mooncakes become available in Chinatown.
[This blog: http://infectiousasian.blogspot.com/
This post: http://infectiousasian.blogspot.com/2009/08/mooncakes-yay.html ]

Mooncakes are round pastries of the approximate size and shape of a tuna tin, composed of a thin dough crust surrounding a sweet filling which is usually augmented with a preserved egg yolk - when you cut the mooncake, the egg-yolk will by its appearance in the centre recall the full moon. The lunar image is not the only reason for the inclusion of the egg-yolk, however. It is an expensive and luxurious ingredient which adds a richness to the taste, and by its slight saltiness accentuates sweetness of the main filling ingredient.

Many people slice the cake into thin wedges to eat with hot tea. Others, like myself, simply cut it in half, so that we may pretend that we're going to save part of it for later, but then we decide to have another cup of coffee, and we guiltily scarf down the rest of it. So good!

I particularly like lotus-seed paste mooncakes and redbean mooncakes, both the one yolk kind and the two yolk kind. Back in the eighties I would always buy them from the Eastern Bakery (on Grant at Commercial), but for the past decade or so I have usually bought the brands that come four to a sealed tin. They aren't necessarily any better, but I have a thing for decorative tins.
Eggroll cookie tins, mooncake tins - so useful, so nice, don't you agree?

Savage Kitten, of course, thinks that I'm nuts. I have far more empty tins than I need.

I've tried pointing out to her that if there ever is a flood, they will make handy flotation devices, but she just looks at me funny. She is NOT convinced.
So much cynicism and disbelief, alas, what is this world coming to?

Keep watching the pendulum as it swings back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. You will send me all your money.

============================================================

NOTE: Mooncakes are usually not kosher by a very wide margin. Not only is lard often one of the components of the dough, but frequently it is also present in the filling. But there are brands from Hong Kong and Taiwan which use peanut-oil instead. The list of ingredients will clarify the issue, but to the best of my knowledge none of the many brands available has a hechsher.

You could also make your own.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooncake

I've often thought of creating a filling based on sugar and crushed almonds. But given that I live so near C'Town, I have never gotten around to it.

============================================================

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very funny - Thank you.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Very funny - Thank you.

Kevin

Spiros said...

You are expecting a flood on Clay Street? A flood of what, exactly? Prostitutes?

GRANT!PATEL! said...

Beans do not a desert make, no matter how blacky.


---Grant Patel

GRANT!PATEL! said...

Though there should probably be two enns and a red word there.


---Grant Patel

GRANT!PATEL! said...

Prostitutes on Clay Street?!?!? I must definitely visit that neck of the town. It sounds zesty and full of beans.


---Grant Ohyesimsothere

Anonymous said...

Funny. In Amsterdam, mooncakes referenced THC laden baked goods.

--Simone Pahl-Zurik

DEATH BY NOODLES said...

Mooncakes, yay, mooncakes!

The back of the hill said...

Indeed, mooncakes, yay, mooncakes.

Yay!

Anonymous said...

On second thought, I think they were called "spacecakes". It's been a very long time since I've been there much less consumed such goods. Not that I'm adverse, of course.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Anonymous said...

It was rather interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such articles. I love to read blogs like that. Just add some pics :)

The back of the hill said...

Note: Just in case you were wondering, Savage Kitten and I ceased being an item in 2010.
Right around the time of the moon festival, in fact.
That rather dimned the pleasure of the season.

Haven't bothered eating mooncakes since.

But this year, I think I will.
It's been too long.
I want a mooncake.

The back of the hill said...

September 19, 2013.

Slice of mooncake. One yolk, lotus seed paste.

Nice.

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...