Friday, May 24, 2019

THOUGHTS ABOUT MINT LIQUEUR

Nearly two years ago I found the captain. He was standing by himself in the portico of a place I patronized, forlorn and abandoned, so I took him home.
I do not know who made him, or what of wood he is made. He looks sort of Polynesian, but you know that he's European because there is a scrap of fur glued to his chin. Or he could be an elder. Other than the captain's hat, he's also wearing a lava lava and cowrie shells.
Plus furry ankle bracelets.
He's got character.

Clearly a refugee from a tiki bar. Spam and fruity drinks drove him out.

I've been to tiki bars twice in my life, both times other people's doing.

A wedding shower to which I was invited was at the Tonga Room.

Which is probably the Bay Area's most famous tiki bar.


Having extensive knowledge of many totally degenerate drinks, you would think that I should go more often, and call it research. But my knowledge is mostly academic, because those things only appeal intellectually.
I've taught several people how to make a grasshopper.
Crème de Menthe, Crème de Cacao, cream.
James Bond drank it.

The grasshopper is not a tiki bar cocktail, because it isn't fruity. It's more of a Las Vegas nightclub drink, for listening to Ol' Blue Eyes, Kenny G., and similar sophisticated acts.


Crème de Menthe is the most famous product of the deep south, and goes well as a chaser with almost all Southern Food, I have been told. It is also popular in New York, a very cosmopolitan place.


Here in San Francisco, we prefer Fernet Branca, Jamesons, and McCallan twelve year old.


The captain would likely eschew Fernet Branca.

He looks like he'd be fun to bar-hop with.

A very well behaved gentleman.

No wild excesses.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

WELL, HOW DID I GET HERE?

There is an air of distraction to the streets in C'town nowadays. People seem lost in thought, absent minded, somewhat out of it. And mo...