Thursday, May 30, 2019

STAY OUT OF THE PONDS

He hasn't been back since the war. Another ex-military person today assured him that it wouldn't be like that, and I remarked that all the triggers would be gone, it very probably would not be in any way disturbing. After more than four decades, things aren't the same. Not as remembered.
But of course, I cannot know this for certain.
Everyone is different that way.
It's his head.


When someone is shooting at you, it cements some odd memories.


He remembers, particularly, leeches.

Haema-dipsoids.

Et autres.

Related, disgustingly, to earthworms.


INSULAR SOUTH EAST ASIA

I remember tamarind trees, because I was told that the leeches would drop from the branches if I walked underneath. I can spot a tamarind tree (pokok tjampaok) with its pale lobiate leaves with one hand tied behind my back.
But I rarely saw any leeches. None above me in the canopy.
They're much more noticeable when they're full.
And rare in urban areas.

Leeches are more common in rice paddy Asia than sago palm Asia.

They also live in the South Eastern United States (good reason to avoid those regions), and sometimes (rarely) occur in wet areas of central and southern California.



The leeches in Golden Gate Park (helobdella californica) feed off larvae.
Haemolymph eaters, as painted by Vincent van Gogh, 1885 or later.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

QUIET STEW

Figuring out where to have lunch some days is a bit problematic. Not today -- that's already mapped out -- but specifically Mondays and ...