Tuesday, May 28, 2019

STOP STARING, WE'RE NORMAL

When I got up to leave I had to say goodbye to everybody. To my surprise everyone there was an acquaintance with whom I had conversed on earlier occasions. Which, given that I am normally an antisocial bloke, and not fluent in Cantonese, is rather amazing. Well, three others aren't fluent (or even able) either. Burmese, Burmese, and somewhere in the Visayas.
Plus Toishanese for everyone else.
All regulars.


Except for an Indian (Desi) woman and her charming little daughter.

"Ohe, bhein-ji, you really should try the egg tart, it is truly delicious! And goes well with a cup of milk-tea, which is just like masala chai, lekin bina masala ki tarah hai ... "

[Yat go daan taat, yat pui naai cha. Tong maai yat go ku-kei.]

"Mummy, if I have a cookie, will you eat half of it?"

No wonder the little girl was so thin.


They finished their tea-time snack and bade farewell to uncle-ji. So, some visitors do not get on my nerves. But on the other hand, the Caucasian elephants that came in, stared in intent disinterest at everything, then left without even responding to a counter-person's "hello", different matter.

Folks, we are not the penguin enclosure at the zoo.


That problem does not arise at the place where I had porkchops earlier, because everything about it screams not interesting enough to gawk, as well as language barriers that might prove insurmountable.
Which is a fortunate accident, I believe.
Not their actual intention.


The porkchops were scrumpty, and I smoked two pipes today, one after the milk tea at the bakery. Weather-wise, it wasn't a day for nudity.
Which I don't do in public anyway.
Sorry.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ROUTE ACROSS THE HILLS

It irritates me to see very large white people in Chinatown. This is probably because I am bigoted against humongous Midwestern heffalumps. ...