Sunday, November 10, 2013

THE WELL-BEHAVED TEA DRINKER

It struck me the other day that my favourite places in Chinatown have several aspects in common. Other than a high tolerance for middle-aged white dudes who fondly imagine themselves to be badgers, that is.
Not that that is a very large and stressful demographic.
Hong kong style milk-tea.
Flaky pastries.
Women.


I cannot figure out which one of those is the clincher.


Perhaps its all three in tandem. Women who sell me flaky pastries and make Hong Kong style milk-tea. I will not mention the names of those places, as I do not wish for crowds while I'm there.
They might not appreciate the tea.
Or even the pastries.
Nor the staff.

And they would want to talk while I'm day-dreaming.


One of them stands out.


叉燒菠蘿包和一盃香港奶茶。

The young woman who works there is lively and bright, and has an active and quirky mind. I've heard her interacting with Taiwanese and other odd foreigners who are just passing through. Her coworker is a bit dippy, but she has the brains it takes.

The delicious pastry is not as flaky as elsewhere, but the person herself makes up for that.

Yes, I am haamsap. But no, I am not haamsap.
I am, unfortunately, a realist.
Grim, and cynical.


Still. Milk-tea. Flaky pastry. Nice company.
Quite the best way to spend time.
All badgers must agree.


Perhaps milk-tea simply tastes better made by a woman.


I may need another charsiu bo-lo bau to figure this out.













==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw this and thought of you

http://distractify.com/fun/fails/20-horrifying-toys-to-traumatize-your-child/

The back of the hill said...

My, is it Christmas time already?

If I ever have grandkids (need to have children first), I'll make sure that they get ALL of those.

It's edumacational.
Or sumpin'.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't your firm responsible for the Dildo toy? (though I dont recall seeing the Dora the Explorer model on your desk)

There was one on Dan's nightstand when we cleaned up his apartment. Ew. (meant in the most un-judgemental way possible)

The back of the hill said...

I deny and reject any responsibility for that horrid item.

If anything, we were irresponsible for it.

The back of the hill said...

And I am quite disillusioned by its popularity among the target demographic.

I am a sad, bitter, and titillated man.

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...