Friday, February 15, 2013

WEEKENDS ARE FOR WATCHING YOU EAT

People-watching is better on Saturdays and Sundays than during the rest of the week. Especially in restaurants.  The customers seem happier and less-stressed. And frequently end up doing interesting things.
Yes, I've seen the famous two people eating one long noodle scene once. Two little children who were experimenting while the grownups chatted. When they came within an inch or two of each other the boy panicked.  Not entirely sure why, there were numerous adults at the table, and the kids probably weren't even related. No one would have blamed him if he had copped a food-kiss. The little girl was extremely cute.
It would have been adorable.


Not because of any actual intent on my part I eat alone a lot. Which, when out elsewhere, gives me the opportunity to observe other people at their supper.
You will understand that I consequently tend to pick my restaurants carefully; places which are reasonably busy, but not packed. I want to enjoy the food there myself, AND see every other person dining do the same.
Crowded restaurants are not optimal in that regard.
Anonymity is far better in smaller numbers.
And naturally there's a better view.

Happy people, tasty things.
It's utterly lovely.


I never thought I'd end up as a gustatory voyeur. It didn't used to be this way, years ago I was not a solitary diner. But I've always enjoyed watching someone else being delighted over delicious food. My own meal always tastes better in consequence, and I will want to go there again, just to try whatever it was that gave another person so much pleasure.

There is a pickiness to my restaurant choosing. I prefer places that serve dishes that I myself like to eat; seeing other people also tackling similar things creates a sense of sameness. Noodly dishes, soups, and judiciously composed combinations. Little dumplings, rice porridge, and steamed or fried yumminess.
Not junk food, nor even it's more high-fallutin' cousins.
There is hardly any pleasure to be found in seeing someone scarfing down a grease burger. Unless it's a small female tackling a monster. A big bold bacon cheese doublehanded triple-decker, versus a happy sparrow.
Sheer pleasure in giant meaty bites.
That I would pay to see.
I'd have one too.


You want bucket-o-fries or a shake with that?



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

אתה השלים כמה נקודות טובות שם. עשיתי חיפוש על הנושא ומצא שרוב האנשים יקבלו את אותה דעה עם הבלוג שלך.

The back of the hill said...

Thank you. High praise indeed.

May I ask what criteria you searched for?

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...